Repairing Splits in WWII Helmet Liners

jeff41st

I am sure many of you have repaired the splits in WWII helmet liners. Can anyone suggest a product(s) that have done the trick?

Thanks

Jeff

I do not understand why so many collectors now days want to repair helmet related items. You are messing with an original item. If you want a pristine example buy a repro or a mint original.

Are you going to wear the liner ? If you are not why bother ?

I agree regarding small splits. i don't mess woth those...I am talking about ones that are several inches in length. I would like to keep it from getting worse. Although my handling is minimal, i do like to allow kids to pick them up and put them on.

If you want to make it look "period authentic", WW2 repairs usually involved wire staples. There are several examples of this kind of repair illustrated in the various M1 reference books.

Such repairs would pose a very complex situation for professional Restorers... quite a fascinating topic, actually - given the several materials used in manufacture over time.

If you want to make it look "period authentic", WW2 repairs usually involved wire staples. There are several examples of this kind of repair illustrated in the various M1 reference books.

Well that explains the large staple in one of my liners :D I think i would f*** it up even more than it is with a staple gun. I was going to strip it and repaint it. I was thinking of using superglue or epoxy to join the split, but thought i would check with some of you who may have made a similar repair.

Well the thing I,m thinking is that when a liner was that damaged it became unserviceable and was simply discarded, and either a brand new one issued or one that was used but serviceable, so plentiful were these liners both unissed and used serviceable back in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.

But if one really would want to cover a long fissure or crack, then perhaps a strip of thin cotton muslin glued over the crack with mucilage bonding the muslin strip and then repainting might do, here this seems period enough, rather then using crazy glue or gorrila glue to join the crack.