WWII womens USMC uniform questions?

thetrenchman1918

thetrenchman1918

So... I created an account to ask questions so here goes,

Last weekend, at my local flea market I was approached by a local antique dealer who had a women's USMC uniform, (please pardon if this is not the correct terminology) this dealer knows I look for military and told me he had it, and let me look at it, unfortunately he wanted to put it on eBay. He offered if I wanted it he would drop 15 percent of the final eBay price as I could pay him away from eBay.

What would I expect to pay for it and is that the correct hat for the uniform, I am sure it came from the same vet but it obviously does not match in pattern, any other information would be appreciated

sorry I an having some computer difficulties posting a link, the item is listed under: WW2 US Women's USMC Uniform

thank you for your time

There are a few factors when looking to buy USMC coats.

First is it a real wwii USMC women's coat? Do you have a picture of it? How many parts are you getting? Just a jacket or with shoes, skirt, shirt tie hat etc. does it still have its ribbons and patches?

is it named to a marine? An unnamed jacket won't be worth as much as a jacket that can be named to a marine.

Since you are new to the site we generally don't discuss prices on items as we rather not have the site become a place where collectors come to price their collections et al.

But if it is indeed WWII I've seen jackets go as low as $50 and attributed sets can go as much as $200 and I paid $100 for mine as she was the first Native American woman of her tribe to join the Marines which in my book is something exceptional. The best bet is to check competed auctions on eBay to get a good bet on the market value.

Good luck

Leonardo

WM items are hard to price. They have a specialized limited market, rarely are seen at auction, and have a small but dedicated group of followers. A few reasons to this is there aren't many females in the hobby compared to males, and that they were all stateside during the war. Most WWII collectors want stuff to Marines who were in theater.

Honestly, the price range I have seen has been extremely varied. I collect most USMC items, but I don't collect female Marine items whatsoever, unless its to a husband/wife group where both were Marines. Just way out of my scope of expertise

So... I created an account to ask questions so here goes,

Last weekend, at my local flea market I was approached by a local antique dealer who had a women's USMC uniform, (please pardon if this is not the correct terminology) this dealer knows I look for military and told me he had it, and let me look at it, unfortunately he wanted to put it on eBay. He offered if I wanted it he would drop 15 percent of the final eBay price as I could pay him away from eBay.

What would I expect to pay for it and is that the correct hat for the uniform, I am sure it came from the same vet but it obviously does not match in pattern, any other information would be appreciated

sorry I an having some computer difficulties posting a link, the item is listed under: WW2 US Women's USMC Uniform

thank you for your time

I've sold a fair amount of WWII Women's Marine Corps Reserve uniforms and that one has the name tag typical to most all of them - plus she does show up in the WWII Marine Corps Muster Rolls on acnestry.com. She was a clerk and served mostly with West Coast aviation units.

The seersucker uniform seems to have lots of stains. The hat is the correct one for the uniform and is probably worth more than the dress. If I was going to do a cash buy with this dealer, I'd ask for more discount than what he'll save on ebay and paypal fees, maybe 20%.