USMC Early Helo Squadron, But Which One?

CUBUSMC

Received this patch with a few other late 50's USMC HMR and HMM patches. This one, however, I have not yet been able to identify. Early Japanese made and it obviously represents a troop carrying / observation helicopter. I'm guessing Mount Fuji in the back ground? If you cannot make it out, the little carrier has a #1 on its bow. Perhaps CVHA-1, Thetis Bay, pre 1959? Very well made patch and measures 5 inches. Anyway, I have looked in all my references, perhaps someone on the forum can help me. Thanks - Jeff

post-2688-0-10107700-1355962635_thumb.jpg

Johnny Signor

Almost looks like "11" on the bow , try that number

Cool patch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also try this site

rotorheadsrus.com

Marine Corps Aviation Recon Association

Good luck !

johnny

Thats true, but an LPD does not have the super structure off to one side. Pretty sure it is a carrier of sorts. I looked at it again with the magnifying glass and it does look to be a single number one on the deck. Interesting to me is the rotors on the head and tail rotor on the tail, very much like many of the early VMOs when they received helos. So, it could also be one of them?? Anyway, I am open to any other thoughts. It way have been just a cruise patch and if that is the case I may never find out. It is a very thick and well made early Japanese piece. Maybe I should also send a picture to Mr. Holmberg, perhaps he will know. Johnny, thanks for the tip on the other website, that is a great reference. - Jeff

Forgot to look at super structure.Could be,

USS Guadalcanal (LPH-7)? LPH-1 was in and out of commission within about 8 months. Patch look's to be from the 50's/60's.You should google the other squadron patches you got with this one and see if any of them had an un-official patch.Could belong to one you already own.worth a shot.Nice looking patch

Johnny Signor

Yeah , could be a VMO as they had the helo's too, or possibly a "DET" of one of the units ...............................................

Glad to help with the site addies !

Johnny

• 3 months later...

I think a clue may lie in the number of blades on the tail rotor - four. The Sikorsky HO3S (S-51)had three blades, the Sikorsky HRS/HO4S (S-55)had two, while the Sikorsky HUS (S-58)had four as depicted on the patch. Thetis Bay was CVHA 1 from November 1955 to May 1957. I've seen a photo online with HUS helicopters from HMH-362 aboard during that period. Best guess would be a Marine or Navy squadron operating HUS's during that time period.

• 5 years later...

It has been several years since I posted this patch and I have not yet learned what Marine Squadron it represents. Pretty sure it is an HMR patch, just no real clue which one. HMR-362 does make some sense, due to the comments above, just not sure. Thought maybe a newer member might have an idea. Any help is appreciated. Semper Fi - Jeff

Looper5920

Just saw your post. I came across this patch in one of my reference books. It is a CVHA-1 / HMR(L)-363 Far East Cruise Patch from 1958. Based on the above posts your patch may be a novelty patch from that same cruise. It seems that the animal with a rotor on its head was a recurring theme for a couple of the HMR squadrons. Hope this helps.

Mark

post-158251-0-18310000-1526071550.jpg