Trumpet Corporal rank / specialty patch shown

Dirk

Hi all: Just scanning some of my images and was wondering if someone could ID' this Corporal's specality badge below his stripes.....if his is a trumpet corporal, when did that rank come about? This is a portion of a postcard dated 1921....thanks

SAND2A.jpg

Jason: I am not sure if they used the term bugler, but on their muster rolls the Marines called them Trumpeters. Then some time in the 1930's called them "Field Musics". As for the picture it does look like he is wearing a trumpet on his arm....

"Field Music" is the one I was actually thinking of but couldn't remember what it was...lol...

Looks like he's also wearing a fourrage...5th or 6th Marines?

There is a book out that I'm planning to get about service marks of the Marines, by the same gentleman who wrote one on Navy Enlisted insignia...might be worth it for you if you have a bunch of these. You can get it thru ebarf or ASMIC as well....

Jason

Jason: Your correct on the fourrage....to bad the image to to poor to see the details of the ribbons. I've tried to find out who he is (I've got a name), but without succcess. I've got a marine Corps book they produced that has ranks and grades but it is just not detailed enough....I'll look for the book you suggest. Thanks. Dirk

• 4 years later...
"Field Music" is the one I was actually thinking of but couldn't remember what it was...lol...

Looks like he's also wearing a fourrage...5th or 6th Marines?

There is a book out that I'm planning to get about service marks of the Marines, by the same gentleman who wrote one on Navy Enlisted insignia...might be worth it for you if you have a bunch of these. You can get it thru ebarf or ASMIC as well....

Jason

All drummers and trumpeters were retitled "Field Musics" on 26 November 1937. With this redesignation, 8 grades became 4. Drum Sergeant/Drum Corporal/ Drummer First Class/Drummer and Trumpet Sergeant/Trumpet Corporal/Trumpeter First Class/Trumpeter all became Field Musics in their appropriate grades.