Sons of the VFW Officer Badge

KevinBeyer

Hello, All,

I have added a Sons of the VFW Unit Senior Vice Commander's badge to my collection. I doubt I will seek out others, but I wanted to have something representative of this auxiliary group.

Quoted from Sons of VFW - Wallace Chaffee Post No. 1679 website

In 1918, the Ft. Lansdale Post No.67 of Sacramento, California, and its Ladies Auxiliary formed the first group for sons and daughters of VFW members. It wasn't until 1934, however, that the National Encampment passed a resolution establishing the Sons of the VFW as an official auxiliary unit. In sanctioning the organization, the VFW opened auxiliary membership to sons, stepsons, and legally adopted sons of all veterans eligible to belong to the VFW. Applicants were required to be between eight and eighteen years of age.

Early members participated in a variety of activities, depending on the philosophy of their parent units. Some VFW posts formed Sons units to help them perform community service work. Others formed units to indoctrinate members' sons in Americanism or to provide a solid base for the post's other youth programs. A few units were started to strengthen father and son relationships. Most Sons units also socialized among themselves or with their Junior Girls unit.

SonsVFW_UnitSeniorViceCommander.jpg

Kevin