Replica M1 Garand?

Robswashashore

Robswashashore

Hello all--

First, allow me to apologize for my utter ignorance regarding all things firearms. However, as my hobby is military collecting, it has dawned on me that it does behoove me to do something about that ignorance.

As my Dad was AAF, I didn't grow up knowing much about WWII firearms. (Lots about aircraft, though!) Anyway, as I have delved further and further into this fascinating field, I have come to "adopt" quite a few Infantrymen for my displays.

So my latest project in the works is a Battle of the Bulge display (Turns out quite a few of my honorees were there!) I have obtained a roll collar overcoat. Then I thought, well maybe I should try to get an ammunition belt to put around it. Then I thought, hmmm, one of those cloth bandoliers would look good over one shoulder. Then it was, guess I need a gas mask bag for the other shoulder. Fortunately, due to the expertise and generousity of various forum members, I already have the M1 helmet and liner. Of course, since it was winter, gotta get the "Jeep cap..." You can see where this is going...

Well, the guys in the helmets, overcoats and bandoliers weren't in the Ardennes camping, so I decided that this display really needs an M1 Garand.

As I am aware of that a real live Garand would cost in the 1K range and I don't have a gun permit to own one anyway, I started thinking about a replica M1 like the kind the JROTC drill teams use or maybe Airsoft?

Do you gentlemen have any advice and suggestions about what are the best replica rifles? Any sense on trying the resin or plastic ones or is that just throwing $150 away on junk?

As always, thanks for your help and Merry Christmas to all.

Jean

"Well, the guys in the helmets, overcoats and bandoliers weren't in the Ardennes camping..."

Great line! While I don't have one, I think Denix is a company that makes wood/metal non-firing replicas.

You don't need a permit to own an M1 Garand. Go to the CMP and you can get a real live M1 for $525 or $625 depending on the grade. It may be Korean war era, but unless someone looks close they won't be able to tell. But WWII receivers do show up. They just may have 1950s and 1960s era parts on them.

You may find that you love shooting, and you will get to use all that gear for it's intended purpose.

I have an M14 and I have a complete set of field gear to go with it.

comegetsome2.jpg

I see you are down the cape. To own a Garand you need one of grades of firearms licenses MA issues. I'd have to che3ck, but last I knew they would require a firearms saftey course for a first time applicant (which is actually a good thing for anyone to take)- and then $100 every 5 years (yeah, I know).

Certainly a real garand is actually going to hold its value, and possibly go up. A reproduction will not. However, you never know when you will get the desire to then add a .45, or a carbine or something. Only you can make the choice about getting a fake or real one. If I decided to go that route, I would go for one of the demillitarized ones. Real parts, real weight, no problems taking accessories such as a grenade launcher or whatever. You can also get dummy 30.06 ammo to stick in the bandoleer. http://www.keystonearsenal.com/category/Dummy-Ammo-34

This might be along the lines of what you are looking for. If you just want a display piece and don't intend to fire it, this might fit your bill.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-WWII-M1-Garand-New-Made-Replica-Display-Rifle-Metal-Wood-NON-FIRING-/290831103500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b6e2760c

Good Luck.

Wayne