.45 acp M15 Shot cartridge box?

topdcnut

This belongs to a freind, he says they were issued to pilots, but for what reason? What was the purpose of this type of round?

post-2723-0-08470700-1355897850_thumb.jpg

Charlie Flick

Topdcnut:

Third Herd got it right.

For more info see this old thread on the M15 ammunition. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25106-1911-45-m15-shot-cartridges-in-pack/page__hl__+survival%20+vest%20+contents&do=findComment&comment=180400

Regards,

Charlie

THanks for the replies,the link does not not work for me for some reason. I do know what the rounds are for I am looking for insight into how many rounds the guys recomended to carry, was a mix of these and standard rounds carried, preferably what the regs say about them.

Thanks, John

Charlie Flick

John:

I just checked the link I mentioned above and it seems to be working fine. If you can't get to it do a Forum search for M15 Shot cartridge and that should pull it up.

As the earlier thread mentions the M15 ammunition was to be a component part of the C-1 survival vest. It was contemplated that the entire box be part of the vest's contents. Ball ammunition was not part of the vest's equipment. The M15 shot ammo was to be loaded and fired in a single shot fashion in the M1911A1 pistol without the magazine. Mixing of the shot and ball cartridges in the pistol magazine was not possible. Presumably, anyone armed with the pistol would be carrying at least one full magazine of ball ammunition. I am not aware of any "Regs" on the subject of survival kit ammunition.

For further information I attach a brief article from my archives on the M15 shot cartridge, and its predecessor M12, taken from a very old issue of the American Rifleman, written by MD Waite, who was a whiz on military ordnance.

I hope that helps to answer your questions.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

45calshotM12andM15ammunition.jpg

Charlie,

thank you, this is the answer I was looking for. I did searches like you suggested to no avail, but your answer is exactly what i needed for my freind.

T/Y John