No NDSM?

12A54

I am assembling the family military history, specifically the medals awarded to relatives who served. I just received my father in law's DD-214 from Lori of Redbird Research. He served in the USN from May 1957 to August 1962 and was honorably discharged. In the Awards block, the entry is "None". Shouldn't he have at least been awarded an NDSM? (NDSM was awarded for service between 27 Jun 1950 and 27 Jul 1959 and 1 Jan '61 to 14 Aug '74.)

Why would it not be on there?

Could there be any others that were omitted?

If he was eligible, is there anything I can do to correct this?

The Executive Order (11265) authorizing the NDSM for the Vietnam War didn't come out until 1966. The award was retroactive to 1JAN61, but they wouldn't have known that in 1962, the EO having not come out yet.

He got out before it was authorized for that time period. You need to get his records and see where exactly he served to determine if there should be any other awards, like the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal...although it's not likely something like that would have been omitted...once you get his records, you can submit paperwork to get them corrected....I never bothered to get my Kuwait Lib medal updated, and my DD214 had already been typed up before I got my last Meritorious Service Medal, so it's not uncommon for things to be "missing" from your records.

Mark sends

The Executive Order (11265) authorizing the NDSM for the Vietnam War didn't come out until 1966. The award was retroactive to 1JAN61, but they wouldn't have known that in 1962, the EO having not come out yet.

According to "Call of Duty", the NDSM was initially awarded for service between 27 Jun 1950 and 27 Jul 1959. My Uncle served in the USN '51-'54 and his DD-214 shows an NDSM.

Father in Law was an officer, so no GCM would have been awarded.

If he was in the Naval Reserve would he have still received the NDSM? How do you update your DD214? I would like to add my AF Com Medal & Achv Medal. Thank's.

He got out before it was authorized for that time period. You need to get his records and see where exactly he served to determine if there should be any other awards, like the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal...although it's not likely something like that would have been omitted...once you get his records, you can submit paperwork to get them corrected....I never bothered to get my Kuwait Lib medal updated, and my DD214 had already been typed up before I got my last Meritorious Service Medal, so it's not uncommon for things to be "missing" from your records.

Mark sends

Mark - Executive Order No. 10488 authorizing the NDSM was issued on 22 April 1953.

Call of Duty is in error (or morelikely has a typo) on the end date for the first award period for the NDSM. It was 27 July 1954 not 1959.

OK that might explain it. Is the second eligibility period correct (Jan '61)? If so, he still should have been eligible I think.

Mark - Executive Order No. 10488 authorizing the NDSM was issued on 22 April 1953.

Yes, that was the initial award period...one it closed out in 1954, it wasn't reawarded until 1966, retroactive to 1961, which is why it's not on his records....we got the NDSM during the first Gulf War, but it wasn't authorized in August 1990, right after Iraq invaded Kuwait..it was after the first of the year (i.e. 1991) before we were awarded it. The point is, whatever the first award date is isn't when the award was authorized, it's the retroactive date....

Mark sends

Yes, that was the initial award period...one it closed out in 1954, it wasn't reawarded until 1966, retroactive to 1961, which is why it's not on his records....we got the NDSM during the first Gulf War, but it wasn't authorized in August 1990, right after Iraq invaded Kuwait..it was after the first of the year (i.e. 1991) before we were awarded it. The point is, whatever the first award date is isn't when the award was authorized, it's the retroactive date....

Mark sends

OK that makes sense now. Thanks Mark. I suppose he could apply to correct the record and would be eligible for it given his dates of service.

Seems trivial, but he is one of six close relatives who served. I want to display each one's awards and it would be nice to include his if he earned a medal.

Well, you know he's qualified for it - you don't need the paperwork to add it to your display!

Mark sends

True, Mark. Knowing that, I'll proceed with the display as well as getting his record corrected so that family in the future will have the documentation.

If he was in the Naval Reserve would he have still received the NDSM? How do you update your DD214? I would like to add my AF Com Medal & Achv Medal. Thank's.

In order to update your DD214 you need to submit a DD149 to that respective branch. FWIW, I submitted two, one to the Air Force and another to the Army. So far after almost a year, the Air Force has corrected my training and schooling and submitted a DD215. I haven't heard any word on my awards yet. Missing on my 214 was a AFAM 1olc, AFGCM 1olc, AFOUA 2olc, KDSM, and a Small Arms Marksman. I submitted orders, and proof of same but no word at all. My Army awards came through the Reserves and National Guard. The Army told me to contact the state of my last guard unit and have them correct any issues. The only problem is all my records from having served in the Reserves is missing. All I have is my Honorable Discharge, and a certified letter saying I owe SGLI $90. Other than that there is no record in NPC of my service in the reserves even though I was activated for Operation Uphold Democracy. I've made several submissions to NPC, and all have come back negative. So be prepared for an uphill battle.