Cruise of the USS Lanikai - Interesting Naval Uniform

KASTAUFFER

This Jacket was a recent Ebay purchase with some very interesting history behind it.

He served as a crewman and Radioman on the USS Lanikai, a Yacht that served with the Asiatic fleet at the beginning of the war.

On December 5, 1941 the Skipper, Lieutenant Kemp Tolley took command of the schooner USS Lanikai for a special mission ordered by President Roosevelt. Roosevelts mission tasked the Lanikai with patroling the waters of the South China Sea; either to serve as a 'provocateur' to initiate hostilities with Japan; or as an obscure observer to Roosevelt's theory of Japan's target for aggression.

Following the attack on Pearl Harbor this intelligence mission became moot and the Lanikai joined the Inshore Patrol. This assignment lasted until Lanikai was detached 26 December 1941 with orders to attempt to escape with passengers to friendly waters.

During this cruise Lanikai transited from Manila in the Philippine Islands, to Surabaya on Java in the then Netherlands East Indies. Lanikai participated briefly in the doomed defense of Java. Just prior to the fall of Java then Lt. Commander Tolley took his ship to Tjilatjap on the south coast of Java where she served as a last gasp exit for allied stragglers. The Lanikai departed Java 26 February 1942 just prior to the Dutch surrender and arrived at Fremantle, Australia on 18 March 1942.

This Jacket belonged to the Chief Radioman on the ship. At the time he held a warrant rank. By 1943 he was a Lt(JG) .

This jacket was tailored in Perth Australia shortly after he arrived there in 1942-3 becoming a staff officer. The PUC was awarded by the Army for the Philippines. He stayed in the Navy until 1953, retiring as a Lt. Cdr.

He passed away in 1998 .

pic1.jpg

This is what I like about collecting Navy Uniforms, there are some interesting ships and histories associated with these brave sailors. The other day IDed a jumper of a Sailor who was on the grand sailing ship USS Constitution in 1946!

This is another great Jacket, glad you were able to bring it to life again!

LF

This is what I like about collecting Navy Uniforms, there are some interesting ships and histories associated with these brave sailors. The other day IDed a jumper of a Sailor who was on the grand sailing ship USS Constitution in 1946!

This is another great Jacket, glad you were able to bring it to life again!

LF

Thats what I find unique about Navy uniforms too. They dont possess the "eye candy" appeal of Army uniforms, but the story behind them can be increadible! You can find some uniforms with high historical appeal for very little $$. I have bought Navy uniforms to Navy Cross recipients for less than $50 . Try to do that with a DSC recipients uniform or one from a desirable unit. You have to put time in and use researching skills to determine what a Navy uniform represents sometimes.

Kurt

• 1 year later...
pathfinder505

I learned of the Lanikai while in college. One of my history professors passed out a magazine article about it and we discussed in class. I was going through some stuff a few years ago and found the article.as I had saved it. Then finally found a copy of the book. Just a great story.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...