How to distress/age a reproduction M41 Jacket?

Tasken_Lander

Tasken_Lander

Was looking to artificially age a newly acquired M41 jacket I purchased from ATF. Don't want to destroy it, just add a little character/wear/age to it. This is for a mannequin display; not trying to pass anything off as 'original' or anything...

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Sandpaper to scuff of the cuffs and edges. Get it dirty, then hand wash it in cold water and hang dry. You don't want to do to thorough of a job cleaning it though. If you have time, leave it out in the snow/rain for a couple of weeks. I used to do reenacting and one of the guys in my unit had a M41 that looked original. All he did was leave it in the rain to "wash" it.

Tasken_Lander

So, as long as I just 'wash' them by hand in cold water there's no chance the wool lining with shrink up?

Will try this method as i was thinking of doing so.

Thanks for the feedback,

Mike

Hang it on the clothing line grab the hose spray it until soaked then grab some ash from the fire place toss it around the jacket then some dry dirt let dry then when dry put it on crawl on the concrete And scuff it then hang it up look at it and decide if its really f@#&ed up enough for combat.

The ATF jacket I got didn't shrink a bit. I think the lining wasn't wool, though. I washed the heck out of it, but the problem with that one is that the collar wore out and there was some sort of white synthetic material in it that stood out, so it really didn't look right. Not sure if they still are made that way or not, this would have been in 2007-2008.

Dig a foxhole in your back yard. Fill it with 8" > 12" of water, then sleep in it for a week whilst wearing your '41. It'll look authentic in no time! ;)

Galagos actually did a tounge in cheek article on this very subject mamny years ago. It was basically - go camping and live in for a few days, while rubbing really awful stinky stuff all over it.

My advice? just wear it and it will eventually take on a life of its own.

Wear it for a week or two. eat in it, do whatever you do. It will get some age. If you want to age it more, crawl around in it in the woods. Or go for a hike in it. Go shooting in it too. Thats just a few of the possibilities...

Tasken_Lander

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Will update once I'm satisfied with progress.

Was going to put a unit original WW2 patch on it. Should I do this after wearing it out or let the patch get worn with the jacket?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Was going to put a unit original WW2 patch on it. Should I do this after wearing it out or let the patch get worn with the jacket?

Thanks

Definitely put the original patch on after!! You don't want to ruin the patch. Why not use a repro patch and age it with the jacket?

I'll echo what others have said, fray the cuff and maybe some along the collar, get the jacket dirty, wear it out!! wear it alot! My personal favorite for aging is to give it a tea bath.

Thanks

Is this patch a uncommon rare one? most if not all fully embroidered WWII Armies, Corps' and Divisions shoulder patches are still quite plentyfull are they not, so I would sew it on, it will look kinda funny if you go iout of your way age-fade and otherwise add wear and tear to this jacket and then sew on a bright neew shiny patch. The other alternative is to get the your original WWII shoulder patch of choice in a used condition, we all seen our share of dogs in those $1 $2 patch crates,bins,boxes, so those are plentyfull too, and here just use that one.

Dig a foxhole in your back yard. Fill it with 8" > 12" of water, then sleep in it for a week whilst wearing your '41. It'll look authentic in no time! ;)

Ian I,m sure you not a piker, I bet you take all those trips across the Channel to break in your stuff the REAL way the HARD way, the AUTHENTIC way, by going out in the country side and DIGGING IN for a week on the old battlefield of the ETO :lol: I mean, I would be tempted to do that myself :lol: really would.

Hey Ian that reminds me of the story, of a Foot Soldier come home from the War, I can't remember who told it, Bill Mauldin? when asked by a civilian about how it was to be at the Front, he ( again Mauldin, or maybe not ) said go in your backyard did a deep hole to stand in, fill it half way with water get in it, bring as little of food as possible ( or something to that effect ) then have your neighbor shoot over your head every so often without warning as your're in the hole for a few days, that, will give you a rough idea.

give it to a homeless guy for a month .

meet him in a dark street one night give him 10 bucks and a box of KFC and a large coke for his trouble.

get your jacket from him .

Display it knowing it has been genuinely used just as they were in 1944...........

enjoy displaying jacket for many years.

PS

make sure homeless guy meets you at the agreed time .

owen

• 2 weeks later...

1)wait for a rainy day

2)go for a walk with it on

3)every time you see a puddle stop drop and roll

repeat until you acheive the desired wear

I've got a repro tanker I've worn for everyday use for the past 3 years......matches my original bibs perfectly now. Everyday wear will break it in faster than anything. Without patches, most people assume its an Eddie Bauer jacket or something of the like.

All good advice, would anyone recommend this for all the repro gear? I have a brand new m1923 cartridge belt that i`d like to be a little saltier.

All good advice, would anyone recommend this for all the repro gear? I have a brand new m1923 cartridge belt that i`d like to be a little saltier.

Leave it outside 24/7 for a few weeks.