1940 U.S.Merchant Marine Ratings

hhbooker2

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" My friend's, Steve and Cynthia Soto collect United States Merchant Marine ratings of the Second World War, Steve's father was a merchant marine. Here are the first three old style rates he has for Chief Boatswain's Mate, Chief Machinist's Mate, and Machnist'a Mate 2nd Class. These are for the winter issue navy blue jumper. thumbsup.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ( [email protected] ) (POST SCRIPT: Steve's email in 1999 was [email protected] and he might still have books about the U.S.M.S.?) thumbsup.gif

post-837-1204085605.jpg

Left to right: Boatswain's Mate 1st Class, Boatswain's Mate 2nd Class, and Boatswain's Mate 3rd Class. :unsure:

post-837-1204086636.jpg

Left to right: Carpenter's Mate 1st Class, Carpenter's Mate 2nd Class, and Carpenter's Mate 3rd Class. :blink:

post-837-1204087091.jpg

Left to right: Electrician's Mate 1st Class, Electrician's Mate 2nd Class, and Electrician's Mate 3rd Class. thumbdown.gif

post-837-1204087557.jpg

Left to right: Hospital Apprentice 1st Class, Hospital Apprentice 2nd Class, and Hospital Apprentice 3rd Class. pinch.gif

post-837-1204088456.jpg

Left to right: Machinist's Mate 1st Class, Machinist's Mate 2nd Class, and Machinist's Mate 3rd Class. w00t.gif

post-837-1204088933.jpg

Booker, you've done it again! While I have a few of these, not the easiest ratings to find. Thank you for very informative coverage. Jack

Booker, you've done it again! While I have a few of these, not the easiest ratings to find. Thank you for very informative coverage. Jack

JACK: Steve Soto has the best collection of U.S. Merchant Service rates and an excellent collection of officer's insignia too! He has another book on the other insignia of the U.S.M.S. My aim is to show more, others were are embroidered in red on white and red on khaki backgrounds - wonder if they issued gray rates for the grey uniforms the U.S. Navy had for a short time? I have seen grey shoulder board (ramk marks) for maritime officers. You are right about Merchant Marine insignia, so many merchent seamen wore civilian attire aboard ship! think.gif Booker ( [email protected] )

post-837-1204138991.jpg

Seaman 1st Class, Seaman 2nd Class, and Apprentice Seaman. (Top)

Hospitalman 1st Class, Hospitalman 2nd Class, and Hospitalman 3rd Class. (Bottom) thumbdown.gif

post-837-1204220185.jpg

Seaman Machinist's Mate 1st Class, Seaman Machinist's Mate 2nd Class, and Seaman Machnist's Mate 3rd Class. (Top)

Seaman Cook 1st Class, Seaman Cook 2nd Class, and Seaman Cook 3rd Class. (Bottom) crying.gif

post-837-1204220236.jpg