Is it a joke?

Gregory

Great cartoon, I think John Gawne posted a link to more cartoons by the same talented reenactor. Unfortunately, reenactor in a box isn't new, "back in the day" when I started out all of us straight leg ground pounders had to dig up our own impressions from whatever flea market or gun show or musty basement while the Airborne just ordered their gear. Now anyone can just order what they want all high quality and all repro from a bunch of suppliers. Leg, armor, Marine, USN, AAF, If they're dedicated that's all that really matters.

T. Bowers

I think there is a very serious marketing opportunity here....

Think about it. This could actually improve the quality of impressions, especially by those who are new to it.

If the vendor did the proper research and put together a kit that was completely accurate, what would be the harm? The newbie could by it off the shelf (minus weapon) and show up at the next event ready to go and free from criticism for having his invasion flag a half inch too low on his shoulder!

You could even come up with surprise boxes.... the only thing guaranteed would be the size. You might get a D-Day paratrooper PVT the first time, or a Navy Admiral for Operation Deep Freeze the next time.

I am looking for investors!

At The Front (dot com) DOES sell complete-ish sojer, airborne, Heer and SS 'kits'.

Some items are out of stock, but yes, one click and you can have a mostly repro kit.

Not a bad way to start... but it is pricey, and unless you have a large size, most items can be found cheaply at flea markets etc.

If you want human sized clothes (36+ waist etc) repro is the only ready avenue.

At The Front (dot com) DOES sell complete-ish sojer, airborne, Heer and SS 'kits'.

Some items are out of stock, but yes, one click and you can have a mostly repro kit.

Not a bad way to start... but it is pricey, and unless you have a large size, most items can be found cheaply at flea markets etc.

If you want human sized clothes (36+ waist etc) repro is the only ready avenue.

Darn! Another money making idea gone with the wind! Well someone was bound to think of it.

As much as many of us enjoy the thrill of the hunt, a lot of careers these days don't allow for a whole bunch of liesure time. Why waste time crawling through surplus shops when you could be out there running crazy through the woods! You could argue that you could buy bits and pieces cheaper, but consider what you spend either in gas, show fees, or postage.

All kidding aside, I think its a neat idea. The following photos are from the on-line catalog and demonstrate a pretty convincing product.

uspackage_infantryfront.jpg

gpackage_impressionHeer.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you read the ATF 'war on fraud' pages you'll learn quite a bit.

I wish there were more information about original uniforms etc. You can spot the 'kits' pretty easy.

For tacticals I fully support cheaper gear.... that way you will not worry so much about tearing your $300 trousers and act like a real sojer/soldat.

The e-bay stores have some asian stuff... minor issues like wrong lining (OH! THE HORRORS!) and belt loops. But again, for the field, close is good enough.

• 4 years later...
shrapneldude
I wonder if they have SEAL in a box now?

Yep. Consists of 5 needles full of steroids, a set of throwing knives, and a set of scuba fins. :lol:

vostoktrading

By the way, anyone heard from Gregory lately? (The original author of this thread).

Last time he was on USMF was way back in January. I tried to message him but his in-box is full...

Any of our other Polish members know what's up? I'm getting worried about him.

Jon.

By the way, anyone heard from Gregory lately? (The original author of this thread).

.... I'm getting worried about him.

Jon.

maybe someone will read this....BTT

I'd noticed his absence from the forum too. He was our resident "gliderman" and has not posted on any glider-related threads for several months now. :think:

Yep. Consists of 5 needles full of steroids, a set of throwing knives, and a set of scuba fins. :lol:

Shrap, don't forget the sunglasses...no SEAL is complete without his cool guy glasses! :pinch:

Steve

shrapneldude
Shrap, don't forget the sunglasses...no SEAL is complete without his cool guy glasses! :pinch:

Steve

:lol: :lol:

Of course!

Also - I should note that I am not accusing SEALs of using steroids with my joke -- only that the average reenactor would likely need some sort of performance enhancing drug to complete the most accurate SEAL impression. :thumbsup:

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jack's son, I don't know about in a box, but I have tried it in a can! I think it was Finnish, or maybe Laplandish c-rations, I could not understand the writing....anyway, the seal in a can tasted much better than the salted fried cat in a bag (Chinese!), but not as good as my favorite; Horse in a pouch (easily heated by throwing pouch in boiling water)!

Sparrow