1922 Naval Uniform LCDR Harry Ross Hubbard Supply Corps

Pete-o MSU

Hey guys I just purchased this uniform today, and was wondering what everyone thought of it. It is the only one I have run across in my two years of collecting. It is named to Lt Commander Harry R Hubbard. DOes anyone have any advice on finding or researching info for this group. Thanks

Pete

post-236-1204064382.jpg

I found a Harry Ross Hubbard Service #045522......Lt. Cdr. Retired as of 1960.

He was not in the 1922 Register.....may be a comissioned enlisted man

Bill

I show him as a Supply Corps Lt in 1925 at Puget Sound. Lt in 1933 in Washington DC. A Lt Cmdr in 1937, Puget Sound. A Lt Cmdr on the USS Astoria 1939, still in the Supply Corps

Pete: I am sure NARA must have something, but I think Kurt or Dave know Navy records better than I. I am not really sure what the Supply Corps (SC) rating in the navy means duty-wise or how long one stayed in the SC. But at least you now have a bit to go on and your reading of the name is correct. Good luck doing additional research!

I found this on the internet.

L. Ron Hubbard was born in 1911 in Tilden, Nebraska to Ledora May Hubbard (née Waterbury) and Harry Ross Hubbard. His father was born Henry August Wilson in Fayette, Iowa, but was orphaned as an infant and adopted by the Hubbards, a farming family from Fredericksburg, Iowa; and so, as fate would have it, the founder of the Roycrofters Elbert Hubbard a Rosicrucian and the author of A Message to Garcia would become L. Ron Hubbard's uncle.[11]. Harry joined the United States Navy in 1904, leaving the service in 1908, then re-enlisted in 1917 when the United States declared war on Germany. He served in the Navy until 1946, reaching the rank of Lieutenant Commander in 1934.

last pic

Are the epaulets shown on your uniform consistent with the Harry Ross Hubbard record presented by jim2? He was a Supply Corps officer. Line officers wore the anchor insignia on the epaulets and a star on sleeve above the braid. Supply Corps officers wore an oak leaf cluster insignia on the epaulets and the same on the sleeve (or none the sleeve, depending on period). The subject of Staff Corps officer insignia on special uniforms has been covered in the Forum a couple of times recently (link here and here) and Naval-Reference.net covers the subject in exhaustive detail (link here).

Ok i see what you are saying so I looked the uniform over and took some more pics. The dress mess uniform which i also have has the oak leaves on the sleeve and on the tabs.

post-236-1204090039.jpg

So my guess would be that someone added the shoulder boards because they were missing before this unifrom got into my friends collection. My friend has had this uniform in his collection for years (i think like 20) and he is an absolute stand up guy. I think the unifrom matches up well with the Hubbard jim2 has posted the information for. Thanks for bringing that to my attention I totally missed it.

...The uniform in the picture has the anchor on the shoulders and the oak leaves on the sleeve....

Thanks for showing the Supply Corps insignia -- that fits the Hubbard record. The Line Officer anchor on the epaulet seems to be inconsistent the evidence trending toward Supply Corps; perhaps that will clear up in time.

I suspect the shoulder cord was added too -- I think that is for an aide to an admiral, and I don't see that duty in the record.

G