Bottle from the Commissioning of the SUB USS BARBEL 1943

KASTAUFFER

I recently acquired this bottle from a friend of mine who bought it at the Tacoma Goodwill auction.

This is the Christening bottle from the launching of the Submarine USS Barbel.

The Barbel (SS-316) was christened on November 14, 1943 at Electric Boat Co, Groton, Connecticut, by sponsor, Martha Allen (Mrs. Harold A. Allen), of Tacoma, Washington. Mrs. Allen was nominated by the honorable John M. Coffee, member of the Sub-committee on Naval Appropriations. Mrs. Allen wrote affectionately of "her Barbel" after the event.

Mrs. Allen' son died recently in Tacoma, and I am assuming his family donated the bottle to Goodwill.

Sadly the USS Barbel would be lost in WWII.

After commisioning the Barbel arrived at Pearl Harbor 21 June 1944 and commenced preparation for her first war patrol. Between 15 July 1944 and 4 February 1945 she carried out four war patrols and is officially credited with sinking six Japanese ships totaling 15,263 tons. The uss Barbel departed Fremantle, Australia, 5 January 1945 for the South China Sea on her fourth patrol. Late in January she was ordered to form a wolf-pack with Perch (SS-313) and Gabilan (SS-252) and patrol the western approaches to Balabac Strait and the southern entrance to Palawan Passage. On 3 February Barbel sent a message reporting that she had been attacked three times by enemy aircraft dropping depth charges and would transmit further information on the following night. Barbel was never heard from again. Japanese aviators reported an attack on a submarine off southwest Palawan 4 February. Two bombs were dropped and one landed on the submarine near the bridge. The sub plunged, under a cloud of fire and spray. This was very likely the last engagement of Barbel. She was officially reported lost 16 February 1945.

Barbel received three battle stars for her World War II service.

Barbel.jpg

Barbel 2.jpg

Kurt:

That's spectacular AND rare! In 26 years, I've seen a handful of these...and most were to logistics/supply ships. This is the first I've ever seen to a submarine! Wow!

Dave

Very nice, I have one for the USS Saury but do not have the box or photos to go with it. Thanks for sharing, I need to learn how to post pictures.

Very nice, I have one for the USS Saury but do not have the box or photos to go with it. Thanks for sharing, I need to learn how to post pictures.

Id love to see the USS Saury bottle!

Is it similar to this one?

Kurt

I need to learn how to post pictures.

This thread will walk you through the steps needed to post a photo: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/157399-how-to-upload-a-photo-as-an-attachment/

You will need to make sure your photos are under 150kb in size in order to post on the forum.

RC

Thanks for the info, I will try and get the photos of my bottle posted this weekend. Kurt the body of the bottle is the same but the stopper is different and it has the ribbons streamer on the top. The bottle is also engraved on a plate that is afixed to it. Hopefully I can figure the picture thing out and let you see it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting your bottle! I looks like the same person engraved both bottles. It makes sense,

Kurt

These are spectacular. You just don't see them available for private collectors.

These are both for the USS Vincennes cruisers from WWII and are on display at city hall in Vincennes, Indiana (CA-44 top, CL-64 bottom):

6054156282_e80b5d3ca3_z.jpg