Bundles For Britain

Brian Keith

I wonder, were these made during the war or were they made right after the war to support veterans? Very unique items!

The organization existed during the war and may have come into being prior to the US entry into the war. I think it war relief to the general population, not really for service members.

BKW

Bundles For Britain was founded in early 1940 to provide non-military aid to the British people. They collected items such as medicine, clothing and blankets from American citizens and shipped them to Britain. I know it was started by a woman but I cant recall her name. Ill have to check and post later.

Jim

post-1549-1204050605.jpg

BKW

Hi Brian,

When you get a chance, can I get a picture of the back side of the large brooch?

the one in the center row, bottom of your first picture.

Thanks,

Charlie

Here you go Charlie.

post-1549-1204133880.jpg

post-1549-1204133897.jpg

It says in the circular, "Official B.W.R.S. and B.B. By Accessocraft"

Thanks for the info Jim.

BKW

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the detail pics of the back!

I received one of these brooches from my brother two weeks ago, and from what I can see our brooches are nearly identical.

Thanks again,

Charlie

The Bundles for Britain Program must have made many items. Do not know of anyone with everything (if that is possible). Have acquired several items as part of a side collection when available at a reasonable price. The attached illustration shows the few items I have been able to collect. The very top pin and the circular brass tag in the second row are two that are less common than the others. Detailed photo of these items are separate posts due to the high pixel count.

post-1633-1204399396.jpg

In this photo, the top image is the back side of the top pin on the previous image. The circular brass tag is the lower two images--Barkers for Britain. Believe this program was to supply dogs to coastal residents of eastern England in the early days of WWII when a German invasion was the great fear. The dogs would, by barking, alert citizens to intrusions on their property. Have heard this tag was to be attached to the dog's collar. Between the words "I" and "HELPED", there is a space for engraving the donor's name or the name of the dog.

post-1633-1204400112.jpg

The last image has at the top, the back side of the pins in top row of first image. The other photos are of items on which I have not been able to get information. The two medals, apparently a full size and miniature, have St. George on one side and the American Eagle on the other. They indicate something on English-American relations, but do not know what they are issued for.

The RAF wing appears too new in design to be WWII, but the back carries a reference to the British-American Ambulance Corps. Any ideas?

post-1633-1204400864.jpg

Brian Keith

Those are some very nice pieces. The top example in the first photo is a very attractive piece! I have had the most luck finding these in the jewelry cases at flea markets and antique shows. Most people have no idea what they are.

Thanks for showing them, I see I have some work to do!

BKW