PAL RH-36 polished and blackened

Gregory

This thread is awesome!!!

I love the old pics of the pilot's with their shanks strapped to their legs

They look READY FOR ACTION!!! thumbsup.gif

I have a Pal Cutlery RH-51 that I like a lot.......

This was one of the more common fighting knives in the ETO, besides the M3 obviously, no?

That is pretty vague

Here is a good article I found on Mr. Trzaska's web site======>

Carter’s Classification for Combat Cutlery

There seems to be a mass delusion among the general public and some knife collectors that any knife ever touched, carried, or coveted by a military person therefore becomes a "military knife". Under this criteria, stretched far enough, everything made since 1900 or so is a military knife. Well, that is ridiculous. When everything is "military" then nothing is gained by using that term.

This confusion does not run rampant in arms collecting; that of bayonets, swords, and guns, because military issue patterns have long been studied, are well documented and most are property marked.

OK, now Marines at Iwo Jima. Is that possible that left side Marine has two knives including one RH-36?

Greg,

It looks that way. Some guys liked to carry two knives. Here is a Marine in Saipan in 1944 talking to Japanese children--he's carrying two knives.

post-70-1206403747.jpg

craig_pickrall

Gregory, can you post the source for the USMC pic? In your blown up pic, partially showing behind the mag pouch on the carbine stock is a half view of a compass pouch and it appears to have snaps rather than LTD fasteners. There are several of us that have been trying to ID that pouch for a few years now. Are there any other pics in the series that may show this pouch better?

Gregory, can you post the source for the USMC pic? In your blown up pic, partially showing behind the mag pouch on the carbine stock is a half view of a compass pouch and it appears to have snaps rather than LTD fasteners. There are several of us that have been trying to ID that pouch for a few years now. Are there any other pics in the series that may show this pouch better?

Hello Craig,

I have it on CD and do not know if it was published in any book. The source is:

NARA

General Records of the Department of the Navy 1798-1947

Record Group Number 80

Item Number 80-G-30532

I sent you now high-res TIFF file with this pic thus it will be useful for you.

Best regards

Greg

Greg,

It looks that way. Some guys liked to carry two knives. Here is a Marine in Saipan in 1944 talking to Japanese children--he's carrying two knives.

Thanks Gunbarrel! A very nice photo showing that not only killing is at war.

Best regards

Greg

• 1 year later...
Cardinal Patrol

Charlie,

You are exactly correct, the Marine flying in your picture does have a Pal RH-36. This is Captain Floyd C. Kirkpatrick of VMF-441 - he is adding another victory flag to the side of his F4U-1D Corsair "Palpitatin' Paulie" (named for his then wife - they later divorced). He shot down 5 1/2 Japanese aircraft while flying with the Black Jack Squadron on Okinawa. This was a staged photo for the press guys.

I know for sure it is an RH-36 because I own the actual knife. On the back of the sheath is scratched "VMF-441" with "Kirk" very small in a corner. It appears to have been blackened at one time but has been sharpened alot. The groove still has original looking finish. I also have letters and photos from his widow as I am in the process of writing a history for the unit.

Mike

PALRH36.jpg

Beautiful examples thumbsup.gif . I love the contrast in style and use. Personally I like the blued or parkerized blades over the shiny ones and certainly will opt to add examples to my collection with that "been there and done that" look over a pristine example.

rr

Tim

Charlie Flick
Charlie,

You are exactly correct, the Marine flying in your picture does have a Pal RH-36. This is Captain Floyd C. Kirkpatrick of VMF-441 - he is adding another victory flag to the side of his F4U-1D Corsair "Palpitatin' Paulie" (named for his then wife - they later divorced). He shot down 5 1/2 Japanese aircraft while flying with the Black Jack Squadron on Okinawa. This was a staged photo for the press guys.

I know for sure it is an RH-36 because I own the actual knife. On the back of the sheath is scratched "VMF-441" with "Kirk" very small in a corner. It appears to have been blackened at one time but has been sharpened alot. The groove still has original looking finish. I also have letters and photos from his widow as I am in the process of writing a history for the unit.

Mike

Mike:

That is AMAZING that you own the actual RH-36 shown in the wartime photo of Capt. Kirkpatrick. What a great piece of history. Can you please post some pics of it here?

Please let us know when your unit history is published. I would love to hear more about the Captain and VMF-441.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Cardinal Patrol
Mike:

That is AMAZING that you own the actual RH-36 shown in the wartime photo of Capt. Kirkpatrick. What a great piece of history. Can you please post some pics of it here?

Please let us know when your unit history is published. I would love to hear more about the Captain and VMF-441.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

I have not had any success loading pictures on the site yet. Keeps telling me the file is too large. I will try to make the file smaller.

Cardinal Patrol
Mike:

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Charlie,

Here is another photo of Kirkpatrick with the RH-36. (Still working on the photo of the knife.)

post-6117-1239763061.jpg

• 5 years later...
Cardinal Patrol

Sorry it has been so long since I last posted here. Lot of personal reasons - but here are the photos of Floyd C. Kirkpatrick's RH-36 knife. I picked this knife up at a gun and knife show in Dayton, Ohio at least 15 years ago.

post-6117-0-84095300-1428861172.jpg