Brass question

LtRGFRANK

My Son bought me some R-P 223 Brass through Midway. When it arrived a lot of it had black "staining". Tumbling does not remove it. But a fine grit sandpaper will take it off very easily so it just on the surface. Other than looking like crap I don't think it will affect reloading it. Anyone have any experience with this?

post-551-0-76408800-1355484694.jpg

post-551-0-78724800-1355484805.jpg

If it is just surface oxidization, I wouldn't fear it. Just look very carefully and make sure there isn't any pitting, bubbling, or lifting of the metal. Wouldn't hurt to cut a bad one in two to investigate if you think it might be a serious corrosion issue. Being new, it ought to be OK, but with old surplus stuff like I mess with the for the M1, there are always a few I chuck because they don't look right.

This isn't anything I've ever seen before. I've had dirty oxidized brass before and after a run through the tumbler it always cleans up. This a a very shiney black crud. Shiner than the brass. Almost like someone painted the brass then polished over it. But since its on the brass and not "into" it I just load it and have ugly ammo.

Sounds like patina, just like you chemically apply to a new bronze statue. I have had a few that were black like that, but cleaned, left a red stain where the black had been.