United Spanish War Veterans Membership Badges

KevinBeyer

• 9 months later...
Alfred Kroulik

Just a bit of information on the "no united" suspension bar.

Prior to 1904, there were 3 main Spanish American War veterans organizations.

1. Spanish War Veterans

2.Spanish American War Veterans

3. Servicemen of the Spanish War

These 3 organizations joined in 1903-04 to form the United Spanish War Veterans.

The membership badge of the Spanish War Veterans is the "no united" version suspension bar. (so they would date prior to 1904 or earlier) . Those "with united" are the first version of the newly created United Spanish War Veterans. (dating to 1904 or later)

This type badge was replaced by the "type 2" version sometime around 1910, although I have not been able to pin down a more exact date.

Thank you for the information, Mr. Kroulik!

It is curious, though, that the word "United" appears upon the reverse of the cross on the previously depicted badges in which the cross bar is blank. One would have to think that the membership badge of the Spanish War Veterans (before the groups combined) would not have the word that symbolizes the union of the three.

But, I am not an expert on precursor groups of the U.S.W.V.. That's for sure!

Kevin

Alfred Kroulik

I am basing (in part) this on a "Ritials" book of the Spanish War Veterans dated 1902 (before the groups unified) that depicts the membership medal (with no "United" ) on the title page, A similar issue of the United Spanish War Veterans Ritual book dated 1907 shows the medal with "United" present.

It is indeed curious that United appears on the reverse of the early medals. I am wondering if existing stocks of the "no United" bars were used with the post 1904 crosses. It would be interesting to see if anyone has a "no United reverse.

• 2 months later...
KevinBeyer

I am still seeking a Type I version with a blank, middle suspension bar. But, I recently added a Type II specimen to my collection.

While not the best photo ever taken, it does show the relative size of the types of badges. Note, all three reverses have the word "United" in their centers.

USWV_Membership_Badges_1000.jpg

• 1 month later...

On a public auction site I came across this pendant on a USWV Dept of Massachusetts reunion badge from 1907. I've never seen this pendant used before on a USWV insignia. I am not 100% certain as to when the Legion of Spanish War Veterans merged with the USWV, but it was more than likely before 1910.

SWV_early_02a.jpg

Any thoughts on this?

Kevin

• 1 year later...
Gentlemen,
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I am an amateur author and genealogist and have written a draft article regarding the medals issued in the Spanish War period up to World War I (1898-1917). I am assembling images of each medal in this category and I would like to use one posted on this forum. I am particularly interested in a clear image of the USWV medal, many of which are posted here. I am also interested in using images of the PCM, SCM and the SWSM but I realize those may be on other forums.
I would like to ask one of you for permission to use one or more of your images in my article. I'm not clear on how this process works with your website so your kind understanding is requested. I haven't figured out how to contact an administrator or an individual member; I think I am too new a member to have those privileges.
The article will be published in The Researcher, the annual journal of the Tacoma-Pierce County Genealogical Society (tpcgs.org) of which I am a member. The journal is never sold; it's distributed to each member of the society and to some libraries as well as the Library of Congress. I do not receive any compensation for the articles I submit to the journal. The society publishes approximately 200 copies of each issue.

This writing project was inspired by researching my grandfather, Musician Emer A. Robbins, who served in the Philippines 1900-1902 (Co. L, 16th Rgmt., US Inf.). I have his USWV medal but I can't seem to get a clear photo of it.

I hope one of you will post a reply to let me know if I am off base here, or if someone will kindly give me permission to use their image. The image that seems to work best for me is that posted by Member ID: 50,776 on post #15. I hope to figure this out by 23 Sep.

I will appreciate it If an administrator wants to jump in here to set me straight.

Thanks,

G R Robbins, Lt Col (Ret), USAFR

Col.,

If it's the boxed example in post #15, then that would be mine. I certainly don't have a problem with you using it for the purposes described. If you need a higher resolution photo or more detailed images of that particular piece, just let me know via PM and I can either post them in the PM or email you directly. Thanks for asking first!

Tim

Col. Robbins,

Just to be clear, these are not medals, but rather membership badges for the United Spanish War Veterans, which was a veteran's organization, and not belonging to a U.S. Government body. These badges were not issued, per se. The were only given to members of the USWV. The USWV, like the Civil War veterans belonging to the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), insisted that their membership badge could only be worn by a member in good standing.

I hope this was helpful,

Kevin

Tim, Kevin and Salvage Sailor,

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I plan to use Tim's image from Post #15 from Feb 2013. I'll be sure to give credit to you for your permission to use your photo.

Yes, I know that the USWV medal was issued by a civilian fraternal society that existed from 1898 to 1992 in one form or another. My article will discuss the differences between official US Military medals and the medals issued by various societies that arose out of military service from 1898-1917. There were quite a few such societies, most of which no longer exist. Several of them merged into today's VFW while the American Legion arose from WW I service. The USWV is now defunct while the VFW and American Legion are going strong.

My grandfather received a USWV medal and he had another medal which now seems to be lost. He was also awarded the PCM by the US Army.

I think I am set for all medal images for my article except one. Does anybody out there have an image of the National Society of the Army of the Philippines medal (NSAP)? It existed from about 1899 to 1905 when it merged into a precursor to the VFW. Their medals were nearly identical to the VFW medal. They must be incredibly rare as I've only found one good image online and none in the books I've found. I've attempted to contact that one website but haven't received a response. Perhaps someone on this forum has an image of this medal they can let me use.

I've ordered the book American Society Medals by Bishop and Elliot (1998) and am hoping there will be some good images in it. But, of course, if there are nice images in that book I'll need to obtain permission from the authors and I don't have sufficient time before my deadline.

You've all been so kind. Thanks for all your help.

Cheers,

Gary Robbins

• 10 months later...

Hello, All,

This image is one that shows the four different known variations of the U.S.W.V. membership badge.

USWV_Membership_Badges_ALL_1000.jpg

Does anyone have a list of known makers?

Kevin

• 7 months later...

The best referrance for these badges that is still available is the #6 of Vol #54 of the JOMSA. George Kane has written a couple of books. But, good luck finding them or him.

I just submitted my article to JOMSA this week. It should be published in the next 6-12 months. I am excited that it will finally see print. My article picks up where George Kane's article left off. Namely, it describes M.O.S. Past President badges and identifies local, state, and national officer insignia. I can't wait to share it with everyone!

Kevin

• 1 month later...
pnwbadges

This medal (badge) was Sam's when he served as the Graves Registration Officer for the Department of South Carolina after his service as the Department's Commander.

The red edged ribbon indicates department level duty, the Maj. Gen. rank insignia on the ribbon indicates former command, and the black wreath around the membership badge indicates duty as the Graves Registration Officer.

Some details that I'm not clear on are:

The gold color of the hanger and badge center- What is the significance of this change in color from bronze?

Also, in the four corners of the membership cross, between the cross and the wreath, are small Adjutant General's Corps shields with a single star in the center of each.- What is the significance of these?

Mike

Kevin, You said a few messages ago this is an old post. But, this about the best we're going to get on this topic. As I posted back in april of this year, Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:17 PM

The best referrance for these badges that is still available is the #6 of Vol #54 of the JOMSA. George Kane has written a couple of books. But, good luck finding them or him.

As per the JOMSA Barry Weaver discuss's the Dept.Graves registraion officer Badge ID. This badge rank strap was not created until after 1939 it is the Col. Eagle with a wreath dangle. If there ever on for the Post or National level, we'll never know unless Geogre Kane surface's some time in the next thirty years. But, By that time a group of younglings can leed the charge over this mystery.

As per the comment obove by SGM & further Posts by Daddly. Please Please people, Kevin is right spot on. Please DO NOT REFFER TO THESE BADGES AS MEDALS! THEY ARE NOT, NEVER WILL BE MEDALS.

THEY ARE NOTHING MORE THAN MEMBERSHIP BADGES AND BADGES OF OFFICE!!!

PETER C.

I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING THIS SAME ISSUE WITH GAR MEMBERSHIP AND OFFICER BADGES, AS WELL WITH MASONIC JEWELS FOR 49+ YEARS THAT I HAVE BEEN COLLECTING.

IF YOUR GOING TO WRITE SOMETHING ABOUT A PERTICULAR SUBJECT FOR PUBLIC USE, CHECK YOUR FACTS AND PLEASE CALL A SPADE A SPADE. NOT A JOKER!!

• 3 years later...

Here is an United Spanish War Veterans (USWV) Membership Badge.  The medal is numbered “A5513 on the reverse.  The rank strap is for a serving officer in the position of Senior Vice (S. V.) Camp Commander.  The American flag ribbon with a light blue border indicates a serving or past officer of a local camp or post. 

Medal - SpanAm USWV Officer 01.jpg

• 2 years later...

Perhaps someone may be interested in these photos of a USWV badge with original case, and a USWV ribbon from Illinois. They belonged to my great-granduncle Francis M. St. Clair, Benton Illinois, 1867-1954.

If I understand the previous posts here, this badge represents a Past Camp Commander.

St.Clair.Francis-USWV_badge.jpg

St.Clair.Francis-USWV_badge_case.jpg

St.Clair.Francis-USWV_badge+case.jpg

St.Clair.Francis-USWV_ribbon.jpg

Here's one I picked up recently. I've searched most places I know for any info on Mr. Spinnell but have found absolutely nothing, not even on FindaGrave! I even tried searching the name Spinnelli thinking he might have changed his name at some point but no luck so far.

DSCN1519.JPG

DSCN1524-1.JPG

Bruce Linz

I think that is a medal named to a woman.  The medal is for a Past Aux President of the National Auxiliary for the U.S.W.V.

KevinBeyer

This is a badge for Past Auxiliary President of the Auxiliary to the United Spanish War Veterans A. Spinnell.  She was not one of the National Presidents, so you can narrow it down to the individual Departments that were functioning in the years 1940-1941.  

Here is a list of the Past National Presidents from 1903 to 1958 inclusive.

image.png.d9ebe396e01014471abec7184cf9b514.png

On 1/11/2024 at 7:55 PM, Bruce Linz said:

I think that is a medal named to a woman.  The medal is for a Past Aux President of the National Auxiliary for the U.S.W.V.

Thanks for the tip Bruce, I had no idea there were so many women (wives?) in the organization. With that in mind, I'll recheck a couple of  places.  Thanks.

Kevin--Thanks for the list, at least  I have some idea where to look now.

Steve