Blacked Out Serial Numbers

swag

I love looking at the pictures in this section, great weapons! I notice that lots of owners block out or obscure most/all of the serial number. Why is that? I don't own any weapons so I don't understand why folks do this.

I own a Garand and posted a picture of the receiver and serial # and blocked out the last 4 or so as well. When purchasing these firearms, a federal background check is done on the potential buyer prior to the purchase, and then (to the best of my knowledge) that serial number assigned to that particular weapon is then attached to the owner until the rifle is possibly sold again. So it protects the owner's privacy as personal information is attached to that serial number. If I am wrong on that and someone else has a better answer, please correct me.

It's like license plates, its not a big deal when you are driving around, but it's always blurred out in images. The thing is, once you post that information on the internet you can "never" really get rid of it. Basically, it can lead to personal information and you just don't want to give anyone a chance to use it negatively.

That's why most of the firearms that I own are not registered, and I freely post photos of the entire serial #.

:unsure: Except now "they B) " know you have it.......

There's no such thing as a federal registry database for firearms...it's a common myth. Background checks are conducted, but no one I know has ever heard proof of a database

Or perhaps I covet your gun, or simply wish to cause you some grief, and so report that serial number stolen.

This is the primary reason for obscuring serial numbers. No one wants to have their legal ownership brought into question.