WWII 110th Infantry, 28th Division POW Grouping

CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

NOTE: I am purposely not posting the name of the vet in the text, and only using it in photos.

I just purchased this group from the daughter of the veteran. He served in Co D, 110th Infantry, 28th Infantry Divison and was captured as a German POW on Dec 2, 1944 and sent to Stalag 9B. He was liberated on April 2, 1945. Following the war he became an Artillery Officer and served until 1966 retiring as a Captain. The group includes his khaki dress uniform with a great ribbon bar (missing left unit patch), Script engraved and cased Bronze Star, His NOK Dog tag he had in the war as well as his brother's, High School 1942 yearbook and a 1953 OCS yearbook, as well as his replacement medals. I also have some other paperwork items and a dress blue uniform and cap not shown.

I am guessing the last ribbon on the rack is some state award but I have yet to research it.

DSCN2100.jpg

DSCN2101.jpg

DSCN2105.jpg

DSCN2102.jpg

DSCN2104.jpg

That is a really nice grouping, and good timing on the post since the 68th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge is only days away.

As for this: "NOTE: I am purposely not posting the name of the vet in the text, and only using it in photos."

Good idea, I would respectfully ask that members replying to this thread keep the wishes of the original poster in mind when composing their posts.

Thanks,

RC

SKYLINE DRIVE

Great grouping! On the 2nd of December 1944 the 110th was already stationed from Lieler on, along the Our downwards to the vicinity of Vianden, he must have been captured in my neck of the woods! Do you know anything about the circumstances of his capture?

CNY Militaria

In doing more research, the capture date in his obituary is off, they forgot the "0". According to the NARA file, as well as a newspaper article about him being missing, he was missing as of December 20, 1944 and was reported as MIA until March 8, 1945 when his parents received his postcard letting them know he was a POW in good health and hoping to get home soon.

CNY Militaria

The brother (see top dog tag) was a Marchant Marine sailor in the Pacific during the War, and joined the Army in June, 1945. He retired as a Lt. Col. in the late 60's.

SKYLINE DRIVE

The 20th makes more sense! If memory serves me right Dog company, was part of the 1st Battalion, on the 16th it was posted in Grindhausen, to the northeast of Clervaux. I will have to look up what happened to the men of D company in the days following the outbreak of the Bulge offensive.

Well I can't find the last ribbon-- any thoughts?

My first thought was a WWII era European award, but I can't find a match. Now I'm wondering if it's something from later in his career?

CNY Militaria

Is it the Luxembourg Order of the Oak Crown ?

This one looks green. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Oak_Crown

He spent a lot of time stationed in Europe (Germany) so I wonder if he somehow got this post war.

By the way, the daughter reminisced about how post-war, while stationed in Germany, he visited the POW camp he was held in that was still standing at the time. Must have been a strange feeling to revisit that place on your own.