Civilian pen flare gun?

beezman

Possibly. Looks identical to the 1960s military kits except for the color of the launcher. There were alot of variations to these when they first came out. If you could access one of the flares and note any markings on it maybe that would help confirm if its military.

It is a Pengun teargas gun for the commercial market in the 1950s and 60s. They were not very effective but still dangerous and were outlawed in many places so be careful.

I am kinda leaning toward commercial. I can't read the label but the term cluster for those style flares does not seem military. That would seem to indicate multiple projectiles per cartridge. Most military ones I am familiar with were a single projectile in the cartridge. The silver color of the launcher is odd as most of the time they are dark colored. A company called penguin made the early launchers and this one is marked pengun. I have heard some very early military launchers were gold colored though. Anyway I would consider it a wobbler, could go either way but probably commercial.

The military version was euphamistically called a "pen gun" flare and they were carried in survival gear until replaced by the gyro jet. The pen gun flare would ignite immediately upon launch which was very good in most situations....except the jungles of Vietnam where the flare would carom off the branches and maybe be seen by the rescue forces or bounce back and set the survivor on fire {not really but it COULD happen}. The replacement gyro jet would ignite a small rocket charge which would spiral the flare through the canopy to roughly 250' where the flare would ignite and could be more likely seen.

I carried the pen gun flares for signalling whenever in open country or on the water since the surface location could be more easily spotted.

Coincidentally, a gun came on the market that I never had a chance to buy that fired the gyro jet round:

Too bad because the gun is a real collectors item.

The one I bought here on the Forum looks very similar except mine is black. Mine came with a screw-in knife blade, hacksaw blade, and a metal razor edge hunting arrow/spear tip. Both are very similar to the MK 79. Danny

post-1691-0-47238900-1355863463.jpg

The original pen flares in this post are nearly identical to one case I was issued while in Afghanistan in 2010. The lot on ours was 1973....only difference I can see is that the launcher was blued. Cartridges were the same in the tape strip. There was another type with 1980's lot dates where the cartridge was pressed into the launcher. The flares were not interchangeable. The older screw-in types proved more reliable and brighter.

Without getting into operating specifics, these were used to replace warning shots....many bad situations were avoided by their use. All of my turret gunners carried them looped through their vests.

FYI- Don't screw one in until ready to fire, a gunner in another unit dropped a loaded one down into a hatch, it fired, burning up a ruck sack. (They were lucky it didn't burn the vehicle down).

Beezman, your example looks exactly like one issued to a USN Aviator that I obtained mine from...including the duct tape strip of flares and string. He carried his "pen - flare" as part of his survival gear. He was a pilot during the 1950s and 1960s. Jeffro

Thanks for the info Jeffro! Do you have a photo of the pen gun in the kit?

It looks like AK101 has nailed it. Thanks for the pic! I guess my version is on the bottom left.

• 6 months later...

Just wondering if the USAF pen-gun type of flares from the 60's era are legal to own and are they safe after these many years?

I believe the rules would be the same for a flare pistol....the trouble you'd get into is shooting them off in a non-emergency situation....however, if you wanted to test it, usually Jan 1 or July 4 allow for that opportunity. If I owned a live one, I'd definitely store in a steel ammo can.