Safely Removing Price Tag Adhesive from M1916 Holster

coolhandluke

I recently picked up the Graton and Knight M1916 holster in the photo below. It looks to have had a price tag attached to it at some point and there is a noticeable amount of adhesive residue that has been left behind. Any suggestions on how to safely remove the residue without darkening or damaging the leather?

Please excuse the Korean era pistol belt and mag pouch. They are only being used temporarily until I find a nice WWII set to display the holster on.

Holster036E.jpg

Holster030E.jpg

That's a tough one! Adhesive residue usually needs a solvent of some kind to remove it. Given the natural, untanned and therefore porous surface of the leather, it's difficult to see how it could be done "invisibly" without staining the leather. You might have to live with it? Alternatively, you could oil the leather (which was done) which would then darken it overall and make the stain less visible?

That is a tough one.

I wonder if using a pencil eraser would work.Maybe one of the white ones if a regular wont cut it..Maybe if not to agressive it wont mark the leather to bad.

RD

wd40 will remove a price sticker from a book cover.

spray some on a rag and rub i haven't found it stain anything yet.

clean with warm soapy water after.

wd40 will remove a price sticker from a book cover.

spray some on a rag and rub i haven't found it stain anything yet.

clean with warm soapy water after.

WD40 is basically a water resistant compound. Soapy water won't remove it!

I have used Acetone to remove glue residue. It is more potent than alcohol and doesn't smell as bad as fingernail polish remover (same thing). Put a small amount on a Q-Tip, test on the back first and let it dry. It will darken while it is wet but should clear up when dry. The leather under the glue may be a slightly different shade but at least the glue will be gone. If you use something like WD-40 it will stain your leather darker. Just use the Q-Tips and go gently. Good luck, Bob

Acetone,cable clean,brake cleaner,carb cleaner,WD40.Goof Off.Laquer thinner,mineral spirits etc will remove tape as a host of other cleaners.Much of these are petroleum based as well.I would try acetone on a scrap peice of leather before wetting the holster.Im afraid ant thing wet or liquid will darken,change the color.I have an unissued WW1 holster and picked it up and my hands were damp from washing them.Left a dark spot where I touched it...even when dry it didnt go away

Thank you very much for the input guys.

I think that I need to first try seeing how much of the adhesive will ball up from the friction of rubbing my finger on the area. I will also try testing acetone an a piece of scrap leather that is similar in color. If it seems to have any noticeable affect on the leather I'll just leave it be.

There is a product on the market known as Goo Be Gone. I use it to remove the adhesive residue by price tags on the cover of books.

http://www.amazon.com/Goo-Gone-Multi-Purpose-Cleaner/dp/B000VP7EDA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355456899&sr=8-2&keywords=goo+be+gone

I do not know if it is suitable for leather. You could test it on the inside flap.

Try rubbing with your finger as suggested to see what if any balls up. After that a white pencil eraser (old school drafter's eraser). Barring that and using solvents, try saddle soap after testing on the back for discoloring after drying. Realize of course hat once the sticker goo is gone, it may have been in place long enough that the cleaned leather surface will be a different color, so you may be doing reverse damege control to get a match.

That is the one big reason I don't buy anything that had a price sticker on it. It ruins the piece and the value. Almost impossible to get rid of or hide.

I was able to remove all of the existing residue on top of the surface by rubbing a strip of unfinished leather instead of my fingers. Unfortunately the adhesive has leeched below the surface and darkened the leather under the tag

I opted to not attempt using the acetone to remove what was below the surface. It did not discolor the finished side of leather thong that I tested it on, but it significantly darkened the unfinished side. I also found more than one leather conservator that stated that acetone should not be used on leather unless it can be thoroughly rinsed. I can take additional "after" photos if anyone is needing to see how it turned out.