Help With Navy Patch ID and NAS New Orleans to Show

radmanpatches

radmanpatches

Just picked these 2 patches up yesterday. I need help with the ID of the Naval aviation patch. The NAS New Orleans is not one that I've seen before and have not seen it in any reference material. Comments welcome.

Thanks!

Mark

post-1664-0-21421700-1355320427_thumb.jpg

post-1664-0-32180900-1355320439_thumb.jpg

Johnny Signor

Your first patch has a T-2 Buckeye aircraft on it, so it's probably a Training unit type ,and probably from NAS Louisiana , did you get the two in a lot/same person ?

I'm surprised NAS Lousisiana doesn't come up on a Google search etc .....................................it was around in WW2 and latter a school took over the property ,........................there was also a Joint Reserve base title for it .

Johnny

Mark, The first patch is just a generic T-2 Buckeye training aircraft patch, just like the F-16 swirl patches that everyone has seen. The NAS New Orleans patch is from the late 50's early 60's I believe. I've seen it before more than a few times and don't think it was the official design but a more mardi gras New Orleans themed patch used for a brief period along with their regular base patch. And Mark, don't let the fact that you've not seen it in a reference make yourself think it uncommon. From experience Naval Aviation unit patches have had numerous different design variations over the years, especially reserve squadrons, and most did not have their designs recorded for posterity or reference.

Mike,

Garth Thompson

T-2 patch might have come from NAS Meridian, MS where the T-2's were based. NAS New Orleans was a fairly common student cross country stop.