2nd AAF Captain Cut-Down Ike

78CARg

I mentioned this in my 2nd Infantry thread. Its in a little worse shape then I had hoped. There are various places where the liner has either ripped or come unstitched. Luckily the damage is in the liner, so it still displays well. The positive is that there is a name stamped in it, which was not mentioned by seller. All the insignia seems to have some age and has clearly been together for quite a while. The shirt and tie also came with it, the tie however is dated 1979. I'm not sure about the shirt it doesnt appear to have a tag.

The name stamped inside is: LT. ALVIN H. NURRE, A.C.

OK enough talking here are the pics.

DSCN0584.jpgDSCN0586.jpgDSCN0587.jpgDSCN0588.jpgDSCN0589.jpgDSCN0590.jpg

I posted a thread about the name in the reseach section it turned up some info, but its not adding up. A Alvin H. Nurre is listed in the 429th Bomb Squadron, 2nd Bomb Group, 15th Air Force. However they flew in the ETO and the rack on this shows service in the PTO. I have read on here ahout USMC uniforms being reissued, was that also done by the USAAF? Is it possible that this was at one time Alvin's, and ended up with someone else who added thier insignia?

I did some more searching on the name and turned up these:

AlvinHNurre.jpg

AlvinHNurreArticle.jpg

If this is the same Alvin as stamped in the jacket I bought, this may have been a better deal then I thought. I would like to know your thoughts on this, how confident are you in name stamps on uniforms?

CNY Militaria

What was the source? If from an estate or family, then it may have been reused by another officer. If from any other source, you probably have a case of added ribbon bars. I would recommend restoring it based on the named owner's service.

What was the source? If from an estate or family, then it may have been reused by another officer. If from any other source, you probably have a case of added ribbon bars. I would recommend restoring it based on the named owner's service.

It came from eBay. I like the idea of restoring it, Alvin was clearly a brave heroic man. I cant even imagine 50 missions in a bomber. He deserves to be honored. I may need to request his records first tho, I think I have enough info. Thanks for the advice!

The 2nd BG website lists most of information that you are searching for http://www.2ndbombgroup.org/

click "database"

click "2nd personnel"

click "inquire by crew member name"

type in "nurre"

click "look up"

see info

record aircraft #s for next search

click "database"

click "2nd aircraft assigned"

click "inquire by A/C serial number"

type in serial #

see info

I tried to cut and paste the info here but it just turned into gibberish

good luck,

CB

P.S. nice uniform, great score!!

The 2nd BG website lists most of information that you are searching for http://www.2ndbombgroup.org/

click "database"

click "2nd personnel"

click "inquire by crew member name"

type in "nurre"

click "look up"

see info

record aircraft #s for next search

click "database"

click "2nd aircraft assigned"

click "inquire by A/C serial number"

type in serial #

see info

I tried to cut and paste the info here but it just turned into gibberish

good luck,

CB

P.S. nice uniform, great score!!

Oh Awesome, Thank you so much! I didnt expect to find that much info.

The tailor did a really good job of re-modelling that officers' service coat...added fly, new pocket flaps with concealed buttons, battledress-style waistband utilizing the brass buckle off of the belt etc. However, I'm curious as to why there's no officer cuff braid as it evidently was a service coat as indicated by the horizontal seam above the waistband. Either it was removed (possible, but unlikely...any traces?) or, unusually, it didn't have any to begin with....therefore a cadet's coat maybe? Either way, very nice!

Re my comments above, and just by way of comparison, here's a similar cut-down Ike from my own collection. Note that it's retained the cuff braid, which is usually the case with these re-tailored officers' service coats. Occasionally they can be found with added Ike-style cuffs, in which case there is no braid present.

post-8022-0-05316300-1355312384.jpg

Thank you I was hoping you would chime in. I read your cut-down ike thread, and you are clearly an expert when it comes to these cut-downs. To answer your question aboput the cuff braid, It appears to have the Ike-style cuff, so that would explain no braid.

DSCN0613.jpgDSCN0615.jpg

That's an interesting cuff...haven't seen that style before! It's not "Ike style" btw...Ike cuffs are like shirt cuffs. No sign of braid though, so I'm leaning towards a cadet's service coat.

That's an interesting cuff...haven't seen that style before! It's not "Ike style" btw...Ike cuffs are like shirt cuffs. No sign of braid though, so I'm leaning towards a cadet's service coat.

I wasnt 100% sure what you meant by Ike-style. I saw the button and assumed thats what you ment. This jacket just keeps getting more and more interesting is it rare to find cut-down cadet coats?

Also if anyone is interested Charlie Biza led me to some amazing info. Alvin flew and Co-piloted a few different planes, but he spent most of his time in the "Touchy Goose". The only picture of the plane I have been able to find is its crash site. It was attacked by fighters, and went down on it 29th mission (Alvin piloted 18 of the 29). Luckily Alvin was not a part of that crew. All the man were captured and became POW's.

This is a typical cadet's service coat. Note the rounded corners of the breast pockets and compare them with yours. Note also the lack of braid. Your Ike is named to an Lt. A cadet on graduation would have been commissioned as an Lt., so why waste a good jacket?!

post-8022-0-87136500-1355350536.jpg

post-8022-0-46325500-1355350554.jpg

This is a typical cadet's service coat. Note the rounded corners of the breast pockets and compare them with yours. Note also the lack of braid. Your Ike is named to an Lt. A cadet on graduation would have been commissioned as an Lt., so why waste a good jacket?!

I see what your saying, Thank you again! I never would have known all this without your help.

I almost passed on it, but in the end I was the only bidder, placing my bid of $49.99 with 15 mins left in the auction. I'm still not an expert, so I'm hoping I did well. Even with the liner damage and no insignia I assume this piece is worth more then $50.

AAF_Collection

I'd say you did very well at under $50.00! there are still plenty of gems like this on ebay,I just bought an ID'd 8th Air Force fighter pilots uniform for less than $100.00

Matt.

I'd say you did very well at under $50.00! there are still plenty of gems like this on ebay,I just bought an ID'd 8th Air Force fighter pilots uniform for less than $100.00

Matt.

Thanks! and congrats on your score. I hope to own a fighter piece someday.

I came across this photo which may help with the restoration. The newspaper it appears in is dated May 27, 1944. He is wearing 3 ribbons I know 2 of them should be the Air Medal and the EAME ribbon, but what do you think the third is? Also I am uncear on what attachments the Air Medal should have. The article with the picture says he earned 9 oak leaf clusters.

AlvinHNurre-WeddingPhoto.jpg

AAF_Collection

Before doing anything with ribbon bars I'd suggest seeing what records you can get from the NPRC to confirm his awards and medals. On the Air Medal many men didn't wear the full number of OLC's to which they were entitled,but if he did for nine OLC's I'd expect to see one Silver and four Bronze.

Matt.

Ok cool that clears it up. Thanks!

Before doing anything with ribbon bars I'd suggest seeing what records you can get from the NPRC to confirm his awards and medals. On the Air Medal many men didn't wear the full number of OLC's to which they were entitled,but if he did for nine OLC's I'd expect to see one Silver and four Bronze.

Matt.

Your right about the records, i need to wait. I guess I'm just a little over excited, I never expected to find so much on him.

Matt.

One silver and THREE bronze! The ribbon itself constitutes 1 and the silver 5...therefore only 3 bronzes will bring the total up to 9. (As a matter of interest, numerals have replaced oak leaves. I've actually got a uniform direct from a VN war gunship pilot with "57" on the Air Medal RIBBON!)

One silver and THREE bronze! The ribbon itself constitutes 1 and the silver 5...therefore only 3 bronzes will bring the total up to 9. (As a matter of interest, numerals have replaced oak leaves. I've actually got a uniform direct from a VN war gunship pilot with "57" on the Air Medal RIBBON!)

Holy Crap 57, Thats insane!

I seen the numbers when I searched Medals of Americas rack builder. The only attachments they sell for the Air Medal is the numerals.

AAF_Collection

Hi Ian,not being picky but 78CARg said "The article with the picture says he earned 9 oak leaf clusters" so I'd read that as him having the Air Medal plus nine OLC's. The AAF Award Card would clear it up as it should list the initial Air Medal plus the GO# for each OLC.

Matt.

Hi Ian,not being picky but 78CARg said "The article with the picture says he earned 9 oak leaf clusters" so I'd read that as him having the Air Medal plus nine OLC's. The AAF Award Card would clear it up as it should list the initial Air Medal plus the GO# for each OLC.

Matt.

Is it correct that Air Medals were awarded for every 5 missions flown? If so that would make sense, according to the 2nd Bomb group site he flew 54 missions meaning 10 awards.

Here is his exert from the book "The Second Was First".

Major Alvin H. Nurre was a First Pilot in the 429th Squadron and flew A/C #42-29617 overseas

to the Squadron’s first Base in North Africa. October 16, 1990: “I was the Operations Officer for the

363rd Squadron, 304th Bomb Group under our first Commanding Officer, Dick Weitzenfield, at Geiger

Field, Spokane, Washington, and then down at Ephrata, Washington. Dick and I selected the flying

officers for the 363rd which eventually became the 96th Squadron while still at Ephrata. I was

transferred to the 429th Squadron as Operations Officer while at Glasgow, Montana, and then was

serving as Operations Officer of the 429th, in Italy during the February 20/25th period.

“I was not scheduled to fly that week. I had completed my 49th mission and was waiting for

my promotion to Major before flying my 50th mission and being sent home. I recall that the

atmosphere was very somber after the Steyr raid, especially in the 49th, which had lost all seven of their

aircraft in the formation, and the 96th, who had lost five. The 20th was fortunate in losing only two.

Major Walter Kutschera, Commanding Officer of the 429th, flew Group lead that day and were

extremely fortunate that our fighters picked up the Group shortly after coming off the target, saving the

Group from further losses.

“I then completed my 50th mission, 2 March, 1944, which was the Group’s 153rd mission. The

mission was to bomb German troop concentrations inland from the Anzio Beachhead. At that time the

beach-head reportedly was in doubt and all heavy bombers were used to support the ground troops.

The flak was heavy. One plane from the 96th was hit by flak and forced to ditch off the coast of Italy.

Two lives were lost, one being the co-pilot who attempted to save one of the gunners, unable to reach

the life rafts that had been deployed from the plane.

“Shortly after completing my 50th mission, I received my orders to return to the United States.

I returned to civilian life in 1946 but remained in the Reserves until I retired in 1979.”