WWII 25th infantry Div. Uniform Grouping from Vet's Wife today

devincu

Guys I just got home from a long visit with the vets wife who wanted his uniform to go to a collector. I love visiting with the family usually and I get to hear lots of stories but this lady said her husband who passed away 15 yrs ago never spoke about what happened in the war. I told her that her husband was a HERO and that by the looks of his uniform and paper work he saw quite a bit of action and probably he didn't want her to know the stuff he had seen. Anyway she handed me his 25th division uniform jacket, shirt, trousers, cap, tie, tags, discharge paperwork, and a neat knife he picked up in The Philippines dated 1945. His paperwork says he was with the 161st Reg. which I have not researched yet but am looking forward to. Also I will be getting photos of the vet in uniform and his unit history and other items as soon as she can pull them out. I will updated the feed as soon as I get them.

post-59872-0-83722600-1355110509_thumb.jpg

Wow. Notice that he was inducted on 28 March 1942 and left for the Pacific Theater on 8 July 1942. Just a little over three months of training and leave before he was sent to a combat zone. By December of the same year he was probably on Guadalcanal.

That's a great grouping!

In case you are interested, Company K 161st Infantry was as a Washington Army National Guard unit that mobilized in Sept 1940 from Bellingham, WA. The 161st was scheduled to leave San Francisco 10 Dec 1941 for the Philippines but instead left 16 Dec for Hawaii assisting with local defense until assigned to the 25th Division in Aug 1942. Officially the 161st Regimental Combat Team landed on Guadalcanal 4 Jan 1943. After the war it served occupation duty around Nagoya Japan until "relieved" by the 4th Infantry Regiment in Nov 1945.

Peter

• 8 years later...