1920s US Coast Guard Good Conduct Medals

Adam R

Hello,

I was curious about the clasps since they are similar to their navy cousins, were these ever engraved on the reverse ?  Also did the CG’s forerunner, the Revenue Cutter service have an equivalent medal ?

thanks

Rob

6 hours ago, BeansEnHay said:

Hello,

I was curious about the clasps since they are similar to their navy cousins, were these ever engraved on the reverse ?  Also did the CG’s forerunner, the Revenue Cutter service have an equivalent medal ?

thanks

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes, they were engraved on the inside. Here is the "Daphne" bar from the John Jaffe GCM posted in this thread.

Thank you for the question

Best wishes,

Joe

Obverse

IMG_3371LO.jpg

• 3 months later...

I thought this info might be helpful for other USCG GCM collectors. For those having medals with base numbers, be sure to carefully check online USCG officer registers that correspond with the issue year of your medal to accurately decode base location.

Section base numbers frequently changed, were sometimes temporarily discontinued, and in any given year base numbers could be used non-sequentially (e.g, see base number range from 13-21 below).

In 1931, the Section Bases were as follows:

1- Galveston TX

2- Stapelton NY

3- Charleston SC

4- New London CT

5- East Boston MA

6- Ft Lauderdale FL

7- Gloucester MA

8- Norfolk VA

9- Cape May NJ

10- Port Townsend WA

11- Oakland CA

12- Anacortes WA

13- Port Angeles WA

15- Biloxi MS

17- San Pedro CA

18- Woods Hole MA

20- Fernandina FL

21- St Petersburg FL

Advance Base A- Morehead City NC

In the 1929 register, some of these advance base numbers are the same, but some are different.  Be sure to do your research carefully! 

Here is my contribution. Medal to William Olsen dated May 23, 1923. Four bars are, Harbor Beach - 25 MAY 1938, Sturgeon Point Station - 25 May 1935, Sturgeon Point Station - May 25,1931, and May 25,1927. Since the medal was authorized in 1921 and the period of service at that time was four years, I would assume he joined in 1917 or perhaps earlier. This came with a small group which included a Surfman's pin two different sized USCG buttons and a Lighthouse Service cap button. I have never researched William Olsen to find out more about his service.

IMG_4208s.jpg

IMG_4210s.jpg

IMG_4212s.jpg