Jump to content

1920s US Coast Guard Good Conduct Medals


Recommended Posts

This is my earliest dated example of a USCG GCM. The documents shown below date the issue to late 1929. (They were scanned from the recipient’s service file in St. Louis.)

 

Does anyone have other examples from the 1920s? If so, please post them here.

post-10651-0-57755000-1355084019_thumb.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam:

 

Your man is listed in the 1957 Coast Guard Register as a retired LT. However, you probably know that.

 

Best regards,

 

The Wharfmaster

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 8 years later...

This thread could be more active if expanded to all pre WW2 examples.  Would allow for a nice set of earlier GCMs in one place.  Just a thought...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello gang!

 

I hope you and yours are well and healthy. My apologies for the radio silence, but things are looking better. I just saw this thread and took a look through my USCG GCMs. I found two to add, so with no further ado here there are.

 

My best wishes to all,

 

Joe

 

August 23, 1928

 

 

Jaffe.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PaulR said:

Beautiful.   What is the year on the first one you shared?  I cannot make it out. 

Hi Paul, hope all is well. Thanks for reply, I took a quick photo with my phone at a better angle so you can see the date more clearly, the date is August 23, 1928.

 

Best wishes!

 

Joe

IMG_3166_lo.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Mike, I appreciate you stopping by and commenting. I missed Adam's thread first time around but glad it was revived. I hope that some other members will post their 1920's USCG GCMs.

 

Best wishes!

 

Joe

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2020 at 4:41 PM, jmar said:

July 9, 1929

 

 

 

Joe,

 

These are very nice! Thank you for posting! I hope you are doing well. My best to you.

 

...Kat

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Joe,

 

These are very nice! Thank you for posting! I hope you are doing well. My best to you.

 

...Kat

Hey Kat!

 

Thanks for stopping by and for your reply, Adam started an interesting thread, I do hope to see some others posted!

 

Great to hear from you, yes hanging in there, a rough going in late March with work drying up, but the floodgates have opened up again, so time to make hay while the sun shines! Hope all is well with you, been a very challenging year for everyone, lost 2 friends to Covid, and it's not over yet.

 

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas, be safe and healthy.

 

My best to you always,

 

Joe

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the oldest Coast Guard GCM in my collection. The 1930 Census confirms Larsen was a Mo.M.M.1c, living in

Port Townsend, WA at the time.   He passed away in that town in 1999, age 95.

 

 

 

I

IMG_5270 (842x1000).jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, aerialbridge said:

Joe, good to see you!  Merry Christmas, AB

Hello AB! Great to see you, hope all is well with you and yours. A very Merry Christmas to you as well!

 

Best wishes,

 

Joe

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wharfmaster said:

This is the oldest Coast Guard GCM in my collection. The 1930 Census confirms Larsen was a Mo.M.M.1c, living in

Port Townsend, WA at the time.   He passed away in that town in 1999, age 95.

 

 

 

I

IMG_5270 (842x1000).jpg

Hi Wharf! Hope all is well with you, great to "see" everyone again. Beautiful USCG GCM! Thanks for posting!

 

Best wishes,

 

Joe

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jmar said:

Hi Wharf! Hope all is well with you, great to "see" everyone again. Beautiful USCG GCM! Thanks for posting!

 

Best wishes,

 

Joe

 

Hi Joe.

Thanks very much. Hope all is well with you too. Wishing you a wonderful Holiday !

 

Wharf

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2020 at 3:40 PM, jmar said:

Hello gang!

 

I hope you and yours are well and healthy. My apologies for the radio silence, but things are looking better. I just saw this thread and took a look through my USCG GCMs. I found two to add, so with no further ado here there are.

 

My best wishes to all,

 

Joe

 

August 23, 1928

 

 

Jaffe.jpg

Love the Ft Trumbull clasp.  Now a nice museum and public grounds in New London CT.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wharf,

 

Your census findings make sense.  The 1929 USCG register lists Section Base 10's home at Port Townsend, Washington.  The fellow named on the medal I posted above wasn't far away at the time, with Section Base 12 homed at Anacortes, Washington. 

 

-Josh

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Josh B. said:

Wharf,

 

Your census findings make sense.  The 1929 USCG register lists Section Base 10's home at Port Townsend, Washington.  The fellow named on the medal I posted above wasn't far away at the time, with Section Base 12 homed at Anacortes, Washington. 

 

-Josh

 

Thanks Josh very much.

I collect medals to people from WA State. I grew up within spitting distance of Anacortes.

 

Happy Holiday !

 

Wharf 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.