1920s US Coast Guard Good Conduct Medals

Adam R

This is my earliest dated example of a USCG GCM. The documents shown below date the issue to late 1929. (They were scanned from the recipient’s service file in St. Louis.)

Does anyone have other examples from the 1920s? If so, please post them here.

post-10651-0-57755000-1355084019_thumb.jpg

Adam:

Your man is listed in the 1957 Coast Guard Register as a retired LT. However, you probably know that.

Best regards,

The Wharfmaster

• 8 years later...

This thread could be more active if expanded to all pre WW2 examples.  Would allow for a nice set of earlier GCMs in one place.  Just a thought...

Hello gang!

I hope you and yours are well and healthy. My apologies for the radio silence, but things are looking better. I just saw this thread and took a look through my USCG GCMs. I found two to add, so with no further ado here there are.

My best wishes to all,

Joe

August 23, 1928

Jaffe.jpg

5 hours ago, PaulR said:

Beautiful.   What is the year on the first one you shared?  I cannot make it out. 

Hi Paul, hope all is well. Thanks for reply, I took a quick photo with my phone at a better angle so you can see the date more clearly, the date is August 23, 1928.

Best wishes!

Joe

IMG_3166_lo.jpg

Thank you Mike, I appreciate you stopping by and commenting. I missed Adam's thread first time around but glad it was revived. I hope that some other members will post their 1920's USCG GCMs.

Best wishes!

Joe

On 12/16/2020 at 4:41 PM, jmar said:

July 9, 1929

Joe,

These are very nice! Thank you for posting! I hope you are doing well. My best to you.

...Kat

23 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Joe,

These are very nice! Thank you for posting! I hope you are doing well. My best to you.

...Kat

Hey Kat!

Thanks for stopping by and for your reply, Adam started an interesting thread, I do hope to see some others posted!

Great to hear from you, yes hanging in there, a rough going in late March with work drying up, but the floodgates have opened up again, so time to make hay while the sun shines! Hope all is well with you, been a very challenging year for everyone, lost 2 friends to Covid, and it's not over yet.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas, be safe and healthy.

My best to you always,

Joe

This is the oldest Coast Guard GCM in my collection. The 1930 Census confirms Larsen was a Mo.M.M.1c, living in

Port Townsend, WA at the time.   He passed away in that town in 1999, age 95.

I

IMG_5270 (842x1000).jpg

14 hours ago, aerialbridge said:

Joe, good to see you!  Merry Christmas, AB

Hello AB! Great to see you, hope all is well with you and yours. A very Merry Christmas to you as well!

Best wishes,

Joe

11 hours ago, Wharfmaster said:

This is the oldest Coast Guard GCM in my collection. The 1930 Census confirms Larsen was a Mo.M.M.1c, living in

Port Townsend, WA at the time.   He passed away in that town in 1999, age 95.

I

IMG_5270 (842x1000).jpg

Hi Wharf! Hope all is well with you, great to "see" everyone again. Beautiful USCG GCM! Thanks for posting!

Best wishes,

Joe

3 hours ago, jmar said:

Hi Wharf! Hope all is well with you, great to "see" everyone again. Beautiful USCG GCM! Thanks for posting!

Best wishes,

Joe

Hi Joe.

Thanks very much. Hope all is well with you too. Wishing you a wonderful Holiday !

Wharf

On 12/16/2020 at 3:40 PM, jmar said:

Hello gang!

I hope you and yours are well and healthy. My apologies for the radio silence, but things are looking better. I just saw this thread and took a look through my USCG GCMs. I found two to add, so with no further ado here there are.

My best wishes to all,

Joe

August 23, 1928

Jaffe.jpg

Love the Ft Trumbull clasp.  Now a nice museum and public grounds in New London CT.

Wharf,

Your census findings make sense.  The 1929 USCG register lists Section Base 10's home at Port Townsend, Washington.  The fellow named on the medal I posted above wasn't far away at the time, with Section Base 12 homed at Anacortes, Washington. 

-Josh

1 hour ago, Josh B. said:

Wharf,

Your census findings make sense.  The 1929 USCG register lists Section Base 10's home at Port Townsend, Washington.  The fellow named on the medal I posted above wasn't far away at the time, with Section Base 12 homed at Anacortes, Washington. 

-Josh

Thanks Josh very much.

I collect medals to people from WA State. I grew up within spitting distance of Anacortes.

Happy Holiday !

Wharf