Asking help to ID WWI era tunic.

Rover

I found this tunic and I would like to ask for your help in finding out more about it. I'm only guessing

that it may be WWI era. The collar doesn't look military to me. I'm wondering what branch of service it

belongs to and its date. A label is found under the inside cotton liner and reads: Jeffersonville Depot

Uniform Mfg. Branch O.D. Wool Coats, 20 oz. Specification 1285. Under the liner is also a large number 73

written in pencil. Is this a common tunic?

Thanks

USTunicfront.jpgUSTunicback.jpg

USTuniclabel.jpgUSTuniccollar.jpg

looks like a WWI coat that had the high collar cut off and a new one put on. Not a military job. Looks more home made job. Some making an everyday coat. Robert

I agree. I have seen some that were converted into open collar military jackets, but this is a civvie one I am quite sure.

When my grandfathe came home formt he war he wore out his uniform using it around the farm, as did many of his friends. This was probably either done to sell as a cheap coat in the depression, or by someone wear it around and fed up with the high collar.

As there does nto look like anything where an inspectior mark would normally be on the label, I would think it might be something that was made up at the end of the war and never actually accepted into the US Army. I don't think it has much collector value, but still some minor historical value for what it is.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a WWI tunic that has been converted to civilian use. There are examples of this aroud but not many. This was a common practice in the 20's due to the depression. These are quite nice to have in a swords to plowshares collection and display. A good example of alternate use.

Museum of the Soldier Staff.

CCC conversions were always died dark green to set them apart from the army. This was yet another way to show that it was a civillian work program and NOT a para military organization.