Here we go again... what a shame

KASTAUFFER

he probably got it through a message

There's a small group, nothing great, up now...had his NavComm with V, GC w/2 bars and unnamed PH. I saw it early and messaged the seller about reuniting, but someone had already swooped in and bought the PH that was immediately pulled, GC and Navcom...makes me think the buyer was the reporter, it was so quick. I know that happens

As collectors we appreciate the history of the groups we collect. As a person selling these items to make a living, to pay bills, or put food on their family's table, I'm sure the history takes a back seat. That's just the way life is.

A member of the 99th BG passed away earlier this year. He had been a very active member of the 99th BG Historical Society and was president of the group not long ago. Despite his active membership in the group, and the fact he had several children, all of his WWII memoribilia was appears to have been bought at an estate sale and has been getting sold off bit by bit on ebay. I am as fristrated as anyone that this group has been broken up, but if it was not important enough to the vereran to give the items to the historical society he lead, and not even important enough to his family to hang onto it, I can't hold anything against the person selling it all of bit by bit.

Marty

A wise man once said, 'Let he who is with out sin cast the first stone'.I'm sure sometime in our years of collecting most or all of use have done this.Not even thinking about keeping item's together.I know I've done and then wished I had kept it together.Sorry to say that it all come's down to dineros, pesos, greenback or what ever you get paid in.

Fred Borgmann

• Last month there was a Wisconsin National Guard Mex Border- WWI group on ebay that was broken up over a period of weeks so that even if some one would have tried to reunit the group they would never have known it was there. As far as I can tell none of the medals were named but one of the items sold were the original dog tags. The dog tags were sold first and once they were gone the rest of the medals were just common low priced medals except for the very rare Green Bay, Wis Mex. Border medal which I got at a very fair price. In this case I am sure the seller could have gotten a much higher price had he kept the group together.

Garth Thompson

Perspective: The seller found the group, the seller paid for the group, the seller owns the group, thus the seller can do as he pleases with the group whether we agree or not. If someone wants the group to stay together, then bid like a mad man and keep it together to preserve the history. But it's better that these items were in the hands of 20 different collectors to be preserved than in just one persons collection where most likely it would never be seen again. I know this hurts our sensibilities but, it is what it is.

Alright, I have now turned my ship broadside... fire away. :)

Spot on as the Brits say. The seller owns the material and can do with it what they want regardless of what we think. The paper items at least didn't windup in the dumpster as usually the case at estate sales.

It is sad as I like to keep everything that I received in a group together (that I know of) but on the other hand, it is his to do with as he sees fit and all you can do if you really want it, is just bid on everything that is there and hope for the best that you can put everything back together. I know of some dealers that do the same thing when they receive (say) an ike jacket or an A2 that have a lot of stuff on them as they cut everything off to make more money. I bought an A2 once years ago and the dealer took off everthing on the jacket, so in order to keep everything together, I had to buy it all back at higher prices but what can you do. It's all about money.!!