Small Arms, Accessories: M60 Rubberized Case?

Mack-the-Finger

Mack-the-Finger

I've always regarded a these rubberized accessories' bags with M-1910 hook fastener as some nearly current piece of equipment, originally I thought it was something from Germany, not even U.S. GI.

Being not too confident with weaponry, not surely with "the Pig", I'm currently unable to precisely identify the right date of issue; I've often seen them related to the Vietnam War period, in a very loose & dismissive way, but I'm decisively not sure about it, I've never actually saw them in any picture nor mentioned nor shown anywhere the matter was covered.

Could anyone tell me when more or less they were firstly issued? Did anyone know if they have ever been used at all? Thanks

(sorry for the superb quality of the pic, my camera left me right in these days, having seen the amount of work I was about to impose upon it, had turned the screen black, forever - now I must rely only on my cell's camera; my cell can be trampled over by an elephant & sleep in the water, but with photos, it just sucks)

post-105204-0-58487300-1354982040.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This looks like the cleaning kit case we had for our M2 .50BMG. I don't remember these with the M60s. All our cleaning gear for the M60s were in the spare barrel case.

Mack-the-Finger

All our cleaning gear for the M60s were in the spare barrel case.

Thank You, I suspected this -not about the Ma Deuce, as I said it was a complete mystery to me, it was just my understanding that the M60's spare barrel case was the only carrying implement for the cleaning rods. Wether in good faith or by mere speculation (in every sense of the word) dealers keep on relating it with M60 & Vietnam War; now I can put it in the right context, I've only got to find out the right period of issue.

Funny that this should pop up. Today, I was surplus hopping and found one of these in the surplus store and looked it over. Never seen one before then and now here it is again.

Mack-the-Finger

Funny that this should pop up. Today, I was surplus hopping and found one of these in the surplus store and looked it over. Never seen one before then and now here it is again.

That's the way it happens! -So it should be a vinyl case for .50 caliber Cleaning Kit, disassembled rods and Brushes & cartridge extractor; the other pockets on the flap should be for the various wrenches. No place for the Barrel Glove, though, unless it might be easily inserted in the buttoned flap. Seems like it replaced the more simple M15 Cleaning Rod canvas case, which I always regarded as for rifle & carbine maintenance only.