Questions about M9 Beretta Slides

dvs762

I have a commercial M9 Beretta that Im going to use for some film work and am replacing parts with as many USGI parts as possible just for some close up shots. I can get NIW slides that appear GI but the ASSY number on the right side ends in a "C" instead of the 65490 like photos Ive seen. Ive been told they are just newer slides. Does anyone here know any better or have any good photos of Newer M9 Pistols that might have this ASSY number? These are PM marked and have the block letter PB on the left side and the CAGE code.

It's called Desert Combat. Ever see a Iraq sand storm, at least I have my earplug in the bore for protection.

Pfft.

I'll bet your center console was cleaner than that sidearm... ;)

Here is the slide I am talking about. I have been seeing several of these being listed for sale on Gunbroker and Ebay for around 150 stripped to 275 complete.

2012-12-051548111.jpg

2012-12-05154644.jpg

2012-12-05154512.jpg

2012-12-05154609.jpg

note the ASSY number on the right side ends with a "C" instead of the 65490 of other slides but all left slide markings are the same. as yours you posted. Now I know they do make upgrades and marking changes from time to time and these are beig advertised as New In Wrap slides. Opinions? The slide I may get is coming from a Law Enforcement dealer by the way.

civilian m9's dont have a PM marking except for a very limited edition many years ago.

Which the pistol at the link is. And it has the C before the assy number.

I got my issue M9 new in 2010. No C before the assy number.

this is confusing really. the commercial M9 has the ASSY 9346487-65490 and this one has ASSY 9346487C and the PM marking. the "C" is at the end of the number and the font is the same as current commercial and military pistols. I emailed Beretta to see what they say. I just dont want to get taken for a ride is all.

There are several "part numbers" for the M9 slide. Depends on if it's a complete slide, one with the rear sight, or just a hollow shell. I believe 65490 is the identifier for Beretta. Not sure if any slides are produced as spare parts from other contractors.

9346419 is the complete slide with barrel, etc.

9346485 is the complete slide less barrel.

9346487 is the slide with rear sight less other internals

9346488 is the slide (just the shell)

I think the C in question means it is a replacement slide. I also think it is military because of the plain PB in an oval. All the civilian models have the stylized PB.

Regards,

Kevin Williams

I can live with a replacement slide just fine. its just that this one has the Beretta cage code on the left side of the slide with the block letter PB as well and says BERETTA-U.S.A. on it. Im guessing these are spare parts and not built as complete pistols is all. I thank you guys for your input. I think I am going to like this forum alot.

here is a brighter shot of the same slide showing the Beretta USA and block letter PB markings and the cage code,

2012-12-05154811.jpg

Just an update on the slide. I got word from Beretta USA today that these are current military contract slides and are being used right now on new weapons and as replacements. Just a rollmark update is all. They have been available on ebay for around 140 to 160 and some on gunbroker for around the same price. So far all are stripped. Thanks for all your input.

You don't show it in the pictures, are you sure it is a FS slide or a slick F? Does it have the slot cut into the bottom at the left rear of the slide? If not, then it is a F slide.

While not specifically mentioned, the "PB" marking, simply references "Pietro Beretta", who was [apparently?] a relation to the original/master gunsmith, "Bartolomeo (from before 1498 to 1565-8)." *

"Then Pietro (1791-1853), was the first to bring the Beretta name into the family, started the works to expand the business." *

*[both " * " items are quoted from the Company's history; though it is somewhat unclear to me, as towards prior, familiar relationship to Bartolomeo.]

They are the oldest firearms company in the world; their work having begun "sometime" in the 1400's; and documented records exist, from a 1526 contract, to present.

[in historical retrospect: not relatively all that many years, after gunpowder was actually introduced into Europe.]

The business has successively been passed-down/owned by direct family, since conception [of at least the Beretta name, involved].

It seems likely, that however related (or not) to "Bartolomeo", Pietro Beretta was the first of the 'businessmen/gunsmiths'; ...and their family legacy continues.....

Now ...would 'someone' in Ordnance, puleeze get their sh!t tight, and authorize the redesign/chambering of any 'new' M9s to .45 ACP?!

Designate it as the M9-A2. Third time's a charm...

Yeah, OK. Keep a few 9mm NATOs inventoried for the P&P crowd; just to keep everybody happy.

[Yes, I do realize that this fact of .CAL, is FINALLY being taken serious...]

Regards,

Don.