2nd Nicaraguan Campaign Medal numbered

Javelin4life

Hello everyone,

Lately, I've got the bug for Pre-WWII campaign medals, and am happy to introduce to you all the latest, and first of many of its type, to my collection: a Navy issue 2nd Nicaraguan Campaign Medal. Aside from the amazing price I paid for it, I was very pleased to see that it is numbered with the correct "M. No ____" style. This particular medal is numbered "M.No. 2515". The pictures I'm providing aren't the greatest quality, since I'm a little shaky with my itouch. However, contrary to the pictures, the medal is in great shape, with crisp detail on both the front and back. The only cosmetic defect is that it's missing its split brooch. I have a couple of questions:

1) Would anyone be able to help identify the sailor who was issued this medal?

2) Is it worth attempting to restore with the proper split brooch?

Thank you all for looking!

Alex

post-19935-0-76568300-1354847719.jpg

post-19935-0-02712300-1354847728.jpg

post-19935-0-39492500-1354847741.jpg

ZeketheAwesome

Although I cant identify the name of the soldier whom this medal was awarded to, I can assure you that your medal is traceable, at least according to "call of duty". As for the brooch, I say leave it. Might hurt it by trying to help.

Alex,

It is a nice find - However the rolls for the Navy 2nd Nic are limited (only up to M No. 853 - with quite a few gaps) - It appears that this medal may have come off a bar mounted set which would account for the missing broach. This split broach with a ball catch is not very easy to find loose. It would not hurt anything if you were to add one to the existing ribbon and would increase the value should you decide to sell/trade it to upgrade to another one.

Congratulations on your find - Bill

• 1 year later...
medalcollector

Alex,

It's a pity that most if these can't be traced. I have 2 in original boxes and one came with the sailers service record. The other, no idea.

There are few services who may be able to help. Here are the traceable medals from Andrews website.

http://wartimecollectables.com/research-services.html

And another one

http://oldusmedals.com/Traceable_Medal_Numbers.html?no_redirect=true

May be they can help you.

Good luck

Javelin4life

Medalcollector,

Thank you for providing me with the pages to try to pinpoint who this medal may have belonged to. I agree that it truly is a shame that most of the original owners of these remain anonymous.

Bill, I was able to find a split broach with a ball catch, although I'm still trying to figure out how to properly restitch it all together.

I would stay with the current stitching because the original may be hard to replicate - if you send me a PM with your email I'll send you a photo of what an original should look like

Bill