Why Mr. Sun is EEEEvvviiiillll!

cwnorma

Here is a picture of an otherwise nice WW1 5th Division uniform currently for sale on ebay:

post-594-1203871554.jpg

Item 120226234163

You can clearly see the shadow where a cartridge belt and suspenders for the M1910 pack were. This old soldier probably sat in an antique store window just a little too long.

Chris

The good news is that if you put a set of suspenders and a cartridge belt on it, it will look fine!

Back when I was collecting WWII uniforms, I had a killer Airborne Officer four pocket blouse that had been displayed in the unprotected front window of a surplus or hardware store. That one wanted to make you cry! On the front side, the cloth was so bleached out that it looked like a red haze over grey cloth, while the back side looked almost new. And there was a sharp dividing line right down the sleeves on either side.

TR,

The uniform is for the 5th Division, so he probably was a "regular." I have seen a few regular Army outfits where they retained the pre-war chevrons on both sleeves.

It isn't very common, but you do see it.

Chris

A bit off topic, but I wonder why the Sergeant's patch is on the left sleeve instead of the right.

pinch.gif Thats why I always have my curtains closed!

I display my uniforms in my basement "museum room" and it has incandescent rather than fluorescent lighting. I've pictured the uniform blouse below in another post but it does show a similar effect of exposure to the sun or fluorescent lighting at some time in the past. The outline of the Sam Browne belt and where the missing buttons had been is quite evident. crying.gif

post-1107-1204134820.jpg

IMPERIAL QUEST

Sad to see. I have a few Imperial German flags in my collection, and I ensure that ONLY incandescent lighting is used, and to block all sunlight, I had a curtain made from a WW II Wool blanket for the only window in the room.

The worst case of this I even saw was an incredibly rare 92nd Div WWI Officer's tunic , named to a Black officer, with a photo of him wearing it , patched out, all insignia, sit in the window of an antique, shop until in actually fell apart. I offered the owner lots of $$ but he wouldn't sell it to me. After a while I couldn't even drive by the store! It took about 2 1/2 years of direct exposure to destroy it by the way!

Paul