• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
F-X

Corean war sailor group, served as medic in a USMC unit

Hello,

I recently purchased this group, unfortunatly not named. Apparently he served as Medic in a Marine unit during the corean war.

- There is the USMC device on the ribbon of the Corean Service medal but no campaign star, is it possible ?

- When were the black rank badges introduced ?

- Did he wore them when assigned to a Marine unit ?

The black medic badge is marked "KREW-GI" , nothing on the rank badge, apprently they are not recent.

Thanks for your help.

(I already posted it on another section of the forum without luck).

post-69805-0-76973600-1354776038_thumb.jpg

François-Xavier

In answer to your direct question-- Yes, the USMC insignia is authorised for the Korea Service Medal-- It symbolises Navy Personnel who had combat exposure with the USMC.

The Brass cadeuceus is US Army Medical Corps-- probably nothing to do with this Navy Medic. The black cadeuceus on shield is likewise not Navy, though I don't know what it is--

The black Sergeant's Stripes look like a USMC Master Gunnery Sergeant (Master Sergeant). I don't know when the subdued ranks came into use in the USMC, but my impression is that these would be Viet-nam war era or more recent. As a Navy Medical Corpsman, I doubt that he would have worn the USMC rank insignia, and certainly not at that grade-- That is E-8, and most medics with the USMC in the Korean War were E-4/E-5. He should have worn Navy rank insignia, not USMC.

The black shield is the current Navy Corpsman insignia worn on the MARPAT uniform....

Mark sends

Mark Conrad, MSgt, USAF (Ret)

"Poor is the nation that has no Heroes...shameful is the one having them that forgets."

The Miami Valley Military History Museum: http://www.mvmhm.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Miami-Valley-Military-History-Museum/111268115594349
Official Partner of the United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration: www.vietnamwar50th.com
Official Partner of the United States of America World War I Centennial: www.worldwar1centennial.org

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks, Mark, I stand corrected. I guess I may be wrong on the brass caduceus as well--- Back when I had Navy IDMTs working for me, this was NOT one of their insignia--- But, apparently now the USN is using this as an insignia for the medic's corps. I wonder if they adopted this insignia after their training school was co-located with the Army at Fort Sam Houston Texas??? Not my area, so I have no idea.

Hospital Corpsman rate has used the winged caduceus since 1948. Before that the Hospital Corp rating used the Red Cross.

donation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Thanks for your help.

The insignia don't look modern, I made a better shot if that can help.

I know the purpose of the Marine Corps device on a Navy campaign medal, but is it possible to have such a device without a campaign star on the ribbon ?

post-69805-0-59095800-1355058675_thumb.jpg

post-69805-0-79518100-1355058695_thumb.jpg

François-Xavier

What is Corean war ?

Son of

CW2 Bernard E Meister 2/14/70

334th AHC 69/70 189th AHC 67/68 155th AHC 67

TAC Officer 1968 Fort Wolters

USMC 1956-1959

I know the purpose of the Marine Corps device on a Navy campaign medal, but is it possible to have such a device without a campaign star on the ribbon ?

The eligibility for this award extends through 1954 (one year after the armistice), but the last Navy/Marine Corps Recognised campaign was Korean Summer 1953, 1 May-27 July 1953. Thus, service in Korea after 27 July 1953 through 1954 would have earned the medal without a campaign star. I don't know if it would have been possible to earn the Marine Corps device (for "combat service with Marine Corps Units") during this period-- obviously that's not my area of expertise. Navy/USMC regulations for that period would need to be checked, and I don't have them at hand.