Corean war sailor group, served as medic in a USMC unit

F-X

Hello,

I recently purchased this group, unfortunatly not named. Apparently he served as Medic in a Marine unit during the corean war.

- There is the USMC device on the ribbon of the Corean Service medal but no campaign star, is it possible ?

- When were the black rank badges introduced ?

- Did he wore them when assigned to a Marine unit ?

The black medic badge is marked "KREW-GI" , nothing on the rank badge, apprently they are not recent.

Thanks for your help.

(I already posted it on another section of the forum without luck).

post-69805-0-76973600-1354776038_thumb.jpg

In answer to your direct question-- Yes, the USMC insignia is authorised for the Korea Service Medal-- It symbolises Navy Personnel who had combat exposure with the USMC.

The Brass cadeuceus is US Army Medical Corps-- probably nothing to do with this Navy Medic. The black cadeuceus on shield is likewise not Navy, though I don't know what it is--

The black Sergeant's Stripes look like a USMC Master Gunnery Sergeant (Master Sergeant). I don't know when the subdued ranks came into use in the USMC, but my impression is that these would be Viet-nam war era or more recent. As a Navy Medical Corpsman, I doubt that he would have worn the USMC rank insignia, and certainly not at that grade-- That is E-8, and most medics with the USMC in the Korean War were E-4/E-5. He should have worn Navy rank insignia, not USMC.

Thanks, Mark, I stand corrected. I guess I may be wrong on the brass caduceus as well--- Back when I had Navy IDMTs working for me, this was NOT one of their insignia--- But, apparently now the USN is using this as an insignia for the medic's corps. I wonder if they adopted this insignia after their training school was co-located with the Army at Fort Sam Houston Texas??? Not my area, so I have no idea.

Thanks for your help.

The insignia don't look modern, I made a better shot if that can help.

I know the purpose of the Marine Corps device on a Navy campaign medal, but is it possible to have such a device without a campaign star on the ribbon ?

post-69805-0-59095800-1355058675_thumb.jpg

post-69805-0-79518100-1355058695_thumb.jpg

I know the purpose of the Marine Corps device on a Navy campaign medal, but is it possible to have such a device without a campaign star on the ribbon ?

The eligibility for this award extends through 1954 (one year after the armistice), but the last Navy/Marine Corps Recognised campaign was Korean Summer 1953, 1 May-27 July 1953. Thus, service in Korea after 27 July 1953 through 1954 would have earned the medal without a campaign star. I don't know if it would have been possible to earn the Marine Corps device (for "combat service with Marine Corps Units") during this period-- obviously that's not my area of expertise. Navy/USMC regulations for that period would need to be checked, and I don't have them at hand.