WWI Navy Officer Cap

29navy

Looking to put together a WWI Naval Officer impression. The cap is slowing us down a bit. Has anyone had any experience or opinion on using the modern-day bell crown caps (Fire Dept, Band, etc) that are available. They look pretty close to me but not sure so looking for a second opinion. Or is there a repro one out there that I haven't found yet?

Thnaks.

Charlie

Not worried about getting any money out of it. Plus a I'd probably not find a real one to fit my big head (7-1/2), plus it would look like it is 100 years old and too fragile to wear.

• 6 months later...

I have been able to use a modern Fireman's bell crown cap made by Blayly http://www.baylyinc.com/new/police/fire.html that is pretty good. The one thing that isn't accurate is the construction of the avtual cap cover. The repro has a stiff wire around the top with a welt. This is prohibited in period naval uniform regs. I get around this by making my own cap covers and simply putting them over to hide the welt. I also have original caps from WW I that look and fit me perfectly. I am fortunate to be bald and have a small head, so finding a size 6 7/8 or 7 cap is a cinch.

Capt Mac