YANKEE DIVISION ART GALLERY IN FRANCE

teufelhund

Not only was the 26th Division the first National Guard division to go into the lines, but it was also the second American division to be sent to the front.

In February 1918, the YD entered the Front at " Chemin des Dames, The regimental HQs were established in a series of caves at Mont des Tombes ( 104th).

The men were billeted in large limestone caves or underground quarries.The french had lined the walls with crude bunks build of raw lumber and bottomed with chicked wire.The 26th stayed for about 2 months in this part of the french front,

Recently, a french collector had the rare opportunity to to visit some of these caves, I have asked him to reproduce his pictures here and he nicelygive his approval.

Here we are

a5ccg2.jpg

313rji1.jpg

14mrswk.jpg

358uvdd.jpg

70j781.jpg

nprt04.jpg

To be followed

I had seen some of the carvings before- but most of those are new to me. I live in the middle of YD territory (with the old 6th Mass armory not far away from my house). Kind of odd to see the name sof towns in the area. Really cool stuff.

Was anything left in the caves besides the drawings?

I had been in the Caverne du Dragonne a while ago and it was amazing how wood and lather had been preserved in there.

I had seen some of the carvings before- but most of those are new to me. I live in the middle of YD territory (with the old 6th Mass armory not far away from my house). Kind of odd to see the name sof towns in the area. Really cool stuff.

Was anything left in the caves besides the drawings?

I had been in the Caverne du Dragonne a while ago and it was amazing how wood and lather had been preserved in there.

This particular quarry ( they are some others around ) is on a private property, and are closed to the public ( with a 12 gauge shotgun) .

The owner is reluctant to open it to the public, but I hope he will make an exception for me, with the help of the french collector.

The " Caverne du Dragon" is not longer what it has been before, and is now only a tourist attraction with a visitor center, souvenir shop ( as are many place of the former french Battlefields, Normandy included) it looks like Disneyland now.

T