11th AB, 5th RCT Uniform

2ndInf.Div.

Today I obtained a very nice piece of Korean War memorabilia, possibly even one of the most unique items in my collection now. What I have is an M1950 Ike jacket that belonged to a Corporal with the 11th Airborne Division and 5th Regimental Combat Team. I am unsure about the DUI's and collar insignia, though I have seen them before. I also got a M1946 khaki shirt and an M1950 garrison cap with gold/yellow piping with an airborne badge. I will be finding out what awards were on the Ike (I already know of a CIB) and I plan to replace them.

104rxir.jpg

mwxm4g.jpg

317gk8o.jpg

Thanks for the post .... but I do have a question.

When did soldiers stop sewing ruptured ducks on uniforms? Should uniforms from the 1950's have a ruptured duck?

Just curious .... and not calling anything out your jacket. Just trying to get better educated ;)

Thanks .... Tim

Maybe he was a WWII vet who re enlisted for Korea, and wore his ruptured duck after his Korean service as a source of pride? Just a guess

He, the former owner of this jacket need not necessarily have been in an Infantryman. During the Korean War the 5th Regimental Combat Team did indeed have a tank unit, it was the Regimental Tank Company, the 5th Tank Company, it was equipt with the Easy 8 Sherman. on this RD? maybe this guy just had it sewn ( bought it at a surplus store) on at his own expense for whatever reason, maybe thinking it approriate?

These DIs are indeed the ones for the 76th Tank Battalion. A important question here would be was this Cpl Jump Qualified, we see the Para Glider cap patch, but this I believe was mirly a unit worn insignia as the 76th Tk Bn was a regularly assigned unit of the 11th Airborne Division with it wear not being contingent on the men of this Tank unit being jump qualified or not.

But having said that we do know there were Jump Qualified men in this unit in the 50s, just how many there were? it must have been quite a few, not sure if one HAD to be Airborne to be assigned to this unit when it was apart of 11th Airborne Division, it could be that they had to be by 1956-57 again not sure here. one thing is certain the 76th Tank Battalion did not have Airborne in it's designation, not officially at least.

http://www.usmilitar...rmored-patches/

I am in contact with the family and will be posting more info as it becomes available. Thanks for the input so far! It's a rather interesting uniform!

My great uncle was in 710th Tank Bn, and was part of the 11th ABN Div from 1953-55. 710th later broke down into the Tank Companies for the Regiments, I believe he was the Tank Co., 511th Airborne Infantry after that. He wore the airborne cap patch, but was not jump qualified. The tankers in the 11th were given the option to attend Airborne training, but it was not required. 11th Airborne tank units were some of the first in the army to be issued the new M48 Patton.

• 5 years later...

Here is a khaki shirt for a corporal (shirt is late war or just post war the flash is for the 76th Airborne tank bn. other than a D and 4 digit laundry mark not history is known on this shirt Just today3-31-2018 I just bought at an estate auction a large grouping of a gentleman who was at Ft. Campbell KY with the 11th from 1953-1955. uniforms are patched and have collar insignia. have dog tags and much more. I have known him for many years He was in the 710th tank bn. during that time.

not sure how to get photo to post size file too large will try to resize

Here is a khaki shirt for a corporal (shirt is late war or just post war the flash is for the 76th Airborne tank bn. other than a D and 4 digit laundry mark not history is known on this shirt Just today3-31-2018 I just bought at an estate auction a large grouping of a gentleman who was at Ft. Campbell KY with the 11th from 1953-1955. uniforms are patched and have collar insignia. have dog tags and much more. I have known him for many years He was in the 710th tank bn. during that time.

PM Sent

Brian Keith

I can do the photo's for you Jim, Drop the unif's off at the museum by the AM Monday before you leave town for work. I am in town for a dentist appointment Monday.

BKW

Are you sure about the CIB? A tanker would likely not get one, but perhaps at that time he did have one of the tank versions? Very nice jacket! Scott

Are you sure about the CIB? A tanker would likely not get one, but perhaps at that time he did have one of the tank versions? Very nice jacket! Scott

I'm just noticing that too now, if not one of those UA badges, then maybe this guy was Infantry, and shortly switched to Armor after leaving Korea?