ROUGH RIDER REUNION ITEMS

Wharfmaster

Rough Rider REUNION Items

Does anyone out there have any Span-Am Rough Rider Reunion items such as medals, pins badges,documents or photos in their collection that you could share with us? Anything concerning their reunions.

Thanks and best regards,

The Wharfmaster

This is the Rough Rider medal that's pictured on the cover of Roosevelt's book. (I previously posted this picture in the medal category but it seems appropriate to repost it here.)

post-10651-0-93001400-1354815073.jpg

wartimecollectables.com

Here's mine. They are not an "issue" medal but have neat history and some of the vets had theirs named. This commemorative medal was commissioned and distributed by Theodore Roosevelt when the regiment mustered out of service at Camp Wikoff, Long Island on September 15, 1898. In his history of the Rough Riders, Colonel Roosevelt wrote about the medal I gave my men. Just over 1200 men received the token at muster out.

mcmasters3.jpg

mcmasters4.jpg

mcmasters5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is roster booklet we have for the NY chapter. About 95% of the names are from the west (Indian Terriority, OK, WY, etc), while the other 5% are from mostly from out of country like the Philippine Islands, Cuba, Latin and South America, with a few from NY, and one from VA whose address happens to be about 15 minutes from where I live, Hope this helps.

post-2063-0-99010800-1356223760_thumb.jpg

Just be warned, there are repros of that medal being sold among the cowboy shooting community, and they look very good. It's be easy to fool a novice collector with one if you did some work on it, I'd think...

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is looking for one of those medals, Hayes Outapalik has one for sale on his website right now, listed at $3900 and with a notation in the description that Cowans had recently sold one for $4500.

Hayes' medal is not named but looks quite nice.

MW

Wow! Hayes prices are always at the top end IMHO, but the quality of his items is always very high as well. I would not have thought that one of these would ever sell for that amount but never say never. Auctions will always bring out the true price with individual fliers at both ends of the scale. Sometimes one can get an auction bargain if the item is mis-identified or there is little interest in the room. Sometimes two bidders will drive something up to silly prices. This is known in the auction parlance as, "the greater fool theory" indicating one has only to find the last fool standing to sell high.

My godfather was an auctioneer and taught me the auction business as a little kid. I was a helper (I lugged stuff around and held it up for viewing) and a spotter (spotted bidders and encouraged the bidding). He taught me how the value of items can change once by making me bid against myself for a pie baked by a girl that I was sweet on. He then explained to me what he had done and that a bidder should never become emotionally involved in what he was bidding on or bid over their pre-conceived limit. I learned a valuable lesson that day and I still try to take emotion out of the auction process.

• 4 months later...

Rough Rider REUNION Items

Does anyone out there have any Span-Am Rough Rider Reunion items such as medals, pins badges,documents or photos in their collection that you could share with us? Anything concerning their reunions.

Thanks and best regards,

The Wharfmaster

(Resurrecting an old thread) I have three items relating to the Rough Riders. I have a cigarette lighter with TR's RR image on one side and his home on Sagamore Hill on the other side. I also have a paper poker chip with TR RR image on both sides. And a pendant from the 1900 RR Reunion in OKC. It has a maker mark from Milwaukee on the back but is not named. Thanks.

post-2830-0-53751100-1370004192.jpg

There is quite a collection of RR reunion items on display in the city museum in Las Vegas, NM -- I saw it in '85. One contingent of the Rough Riders were NM militia and TR announced his 1912 candidacy in the park in Las Vegas, at some sort of reunion of NM RR vets.

G

Thanks firefighter for the comment. Gil, I have been to Las Vegas, NM, maybe 10-15 years ago and at that time here was a small museum and I believe it was called the Rough Rider Museum. I had to find the "curator" which was a young lady to come and open it up so I could view the itesm. I recall seeing an 1898 Cavalry tunic like TR would have worn but do not recall if it was his or not. We overnighted in the restored hotel, on the square, with the original wire spring beds and wash basin and pitcher. No running water in the rooms. A good trip. Thanks for the comments.