WWII ZIPPO?

garrettbragg12

garrettbragg12

I recently acquired a number of my great grandfather's (who served in WWII) items, and among them was this ZIPPO lighter. What can y'all tell me about it? Is it possible to get these working again?

The bottom says:

"BRADFORD PA

ZIPPO

Pat. 2517191"

2azuva5e.jpg

vu5ygese.jpg

uvyty9ug.jpg

gedadeje.jpg

post-101135-135451450482.jpg

post-101135-135451459336.jpg

M1/M3 Carbine: late '44 Inland

M1 Garand: late '44 Springfield

I think this one is post WWII, if I remember correctly, all the ones produced during the war had a rounded bottom, the one on your Zippo is looks flat. It's got some interesting wear and the fact it was your grandfathers makes it really cool. These usually just need fluid or a flint. Does the wheel spin at all? You can also drop in a modern insert and just hold on to the original.

garrettbragg12
I think this one is post WWII, if I remember correctly, all the ones produced during the war had a rounded bottom, the one on your Zippo is looks flat. It's got some interesting wear and the fact it was your grandfathers makes it really cool. These usually just need fluid or a flint. Does the wheel spin at all? You can also drop in a modern insert and just hold on to the original.

The site RustyCanteen linked me to puts the lighter in the 1950-1959 era, so you're correct about post WWII. The wheel still spins and the lid still "flips" open. How hard is it to refill and reflint?

M1/M3 Carbine: late '44 Inland

M1 Garand: late '44 Springfield

Short answer, it's really easy

Pull the inner portion from the outer.

Look for the "screw" on the bottom of the insert.

Carefully remove that (dont lose the spring).

Get new flints, from a smokeshop or wherever you prefer, and some zippo lighter fluid.

Stick a flint in the little opening, put the spring and screw back.

Lightly hold back the cover on the bottom of the insert, and pour fluid on the cotton (try not to rush it and spill everywhere, done that more than once.)

Put it all back together, wipe it off, and strike it.