ID Help, Please

52m37

Does this have anything to do with the old 1st and/or 2nd Bns of the 509th, when they were in the the 8th ID? They had the Abn role half the year, then the MECH role the other half....

Lee Jackson has it on his site and says someone told him it's a 1/7 ADA pocket patch, which doesn't make much sense to me.

Was 1/7 ADA ever an airborne unit? It's been at Bragg so maybe so. I don't know where the mech part plays in, though.

For 15 years I have chased this patch as a beret flash. I have finally decided it is not. It is a pocket patch. Every reference I have seen has always shown the patch with a 7th ADA (left facing) dui pinned on it.

Was told years ago that the "D" stands for deployable, meaning that the system (Vulcan) was both aircraft (Airborne) deployable and tracked vehicle (Armored) (M113) deployable.post-28488-0-86234900-1355074301.jpg

• 6 months later...
MustangNate98

I have a patch also that need's an ID (not to steal any thunder from above post).

Patch was collected between 1983 and 1987 in England (RAF Lakenheath/Mildenhall).

Not sure if its a british tornado or an f-111 with a cobra snake riding it, but there is no tail on the plane.

I'm opting for an F-111 as the cockpit glass signifies the tandum seating arrangement (as opposed to front/back seating in the tornado).

I know that the 48th Tactical Fighter Wing (TFW) was/is? @ Lakenheath, but no clue as to what 48 WSB is.....

Lastly, F-111s were big on being armed with laser guided paveways, thus the laser out of the cobra's eyes pinpointing the munition to the ground with the bomb following it.......any thoughts - fire away!

post-123941-0-33501400-1372802001.jpg

firefighter

I'm thinking the 48th WSB is some sort of 'Weapons System ?' acronym? The cobra has some kind of 'laser' type beams for pin point bombing.

It's from the 48th TFW at RAF Lakenheath. The aircraft is an F-111. WSB could stand for Weapons Standardization Branch, a designation used for a short time in the early 1980s. Hope this helps.

Randy