I have never seen a jet like this. What is it ? Nice Desk Model

manayunkman

Looks really close to a Kawasaki XC-2 maybe a mock up to sell to the US. The plane was supposed to replace the C-130 Not sure that it is the same plane but shares a lot of the same points. After looking again not the same plane as this one has in wing engines maybe a protoype

Yes it is the YC-14.

Thanks FS for the sales report.

The seller charged 20.00 :D

I love those manufacturer's models.

I believe the actual aircraft or one of them they may have produced and tested is located down at the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson, AZ.

I never saw one like this before and wondered if there were shots of the real thing flying, sure enough, it flew. :)

Yc14-1_072.jpg

Both the YC-14 and YC-15 are at Pima.
Sadly, what you report about the YC~15 is in error though I wish you were correct. Below is a quote from Wikipedia about the final disposition of both YC~15s and I will refrain from editorializing about how the one was lost at D~M. That aircraft was never moved from the boneyard after the one that had been on display was retrieved back to flight status. However, the model you have is very nice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_YC-15: "After the flight test program, the two aircraft were stored at the AMARC, located at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. 72-1875 was subsequently moved to the nearby Pima Air & Space Museum in 1981. This aircraft (72-1875) was returned to flying status by McDonnell Douglas in 1996 and was first reflown on 11 April 1997. The aircraft was ferried to Long Beach, California on 16 April 1997, to support the C-17 program. On 11 July 1998 the aircraft suffered a massive failure of the #1 engine during flight and made an emergency landing at Palmdale, California. Upon inspection, the aircraft was deemed too expensive to repair and was stored at Palmdale. In 2008 it was later moved by road to Edwards AFB, where it is now on display at the Air Force Flight Test Center Museum's "Century Circle" display area, just outside the base's west gate. Sadly, the other YC-15 (72-1876), which had remained on Celebrity Row at the AMARG for many years, was destroyed in place in April 2012. It was within easy towing distance of the Pima Air Museum, which had hosted its sister for almost fifteen years, but no efforts were made to transfer the aircraft there instead of destroying it."

Cobrahistorian

AAAACK! I saw it in 2007 when I was out at Marana for the AH-64D-to-A course. They DESTROYED IT?! That's ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember right the 14 and 15 were in a competition to replace the C-130. Fat chance.

scan0228.jpg

The YC-15 on display at Littlerock A.F.B. It snowed that night and the next day. Fortunately I was on base patrol and not stuck out with this guy.

This is the phamplet they were giving out to people who came out to look her over:

scan0262.jpg

scan0260.jpg

• 11 years later...
Vahe Demirjian

The Coandă effect generated by the YC-14's engines is also utilized by the Antonov An-72 and An-74 (the An-74TK-300 retains the airframe of the An-74 except in having underslung engines, but that's another story).