Treasure Chest, the memorabilia of Gen. F.J. Chesarek

Ches-Gen-4

Lastly for today is an interesting piece of carved stone architecture that Uncle Ches always had sitting

on or near his desk. He had these photos in an envelope below the column piece but no information

was included as to where or when. You can see the remnants of a tank pushed off the road along with the

debris in one photo.

The other photo shows a demolished bridge just beyond a new wooden replacement. He must have picked up

this piece of a building or whatever it was from and hauled it back from Europe. I wish this stone could talk. Bob

004-1_zps497e1647.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Currently I am working on a ETO display centered around my Uncles boots and the original insignia from

his uniforms during that time period.

In the meanwhile, I took some close-ups of his nice Dress Blue hat with all the bullion "scrambled eggs".

DressBlueHat-1_zps47dc1732.jpg

DressBlueHat-3_zps0ecf90b2.jpg

DressBlueHat-2_zps6e841ade.jpg

DressBlueHat-4_zps98509d1f.jpg

:)

I would appreciate some help with this request.

I would like to make up the ribbon bars as they are shown in this photo from his stock of ribbons

for the Ike jacket I am putting together for my ETO display.

Smokeemifyougotem.jpg

Silver Star on top.

Bronze Star....Air Medal?....Purple Heart

Am. Def. Ser.?...unknown....unknown?

It's so hard to tell from the photo and being black & white. Can anybody nail it down for me? Thanks, Bob

MR.WWII FANATIC

Wow this is such an amazing collection. My grandfather served in the 28th Field Artillery Battalion as a battery clerk. I wish I had that much stuff on the 28th. It is so hard to find anything from the 28th and now I know why...YOU HAVE IT ALL! This is such a great collection. Congratulations on acquiring it. It is truly amazing.

firefighter

Ribbon rack look's to be;

Silver Star, Bronze Star w/OLC, Air Medal(?), Purple Heart, American Defense w/ star, EAME campaign w/ campaign star(looks bronze), and unknown(looks foreign?).

Wow this is such an amazing collection. My grandfather served in the 28th Field Artillery Battalion as a battery clerk. I wish I had that much stuff on the 28th. It is so hard to find anything from the 28th and now I know why...YOU HAVE IT ALL! This is such a great collection. Congratulations on acquiring it. It is truly amazing.

Thank you for your continued interest and complements. I do appreciate it. Bob

Ribbon rack look's to be;

Silver Star, Bronze Star w/OLC, Air Medal(?), Purple Heart, American Defense w/ star, EAME campaign w/ campaign star(looks bronze), and unknown(looks foreign?).

Thanks for replying Firefighter. He did receive an air medal for participating in aerial surveillance & reconnaissance missions and I really can't see the last one but it could be foreign. I will try to enlarge the original photo to see if it becomes any clearer. Bob

Here is the close up that I was able to get from the original photo which is only 3" x 5".

It looks to me that there is either some damage to the last ribbon or there is something caught on

it, say a piece of brush, a small leaf or grass. Or there is some small damage to the negative or photo itself.

Very hard to tell even with a magnifier.

etoribbonenlargement_zpsb11f163a.jpg

I agree with the Silver Star on top, followed by the Bronze Star w/OCL, Air Medal, Purple Heart,

American Defense w/Bronze Star. Here is where I am confused, the next ribbon (center bottom row)

looks to light to be the EAME which as you know is a dark green ribbon and I believe would show darker

in the photo. Could this be the Asiatic Pacific w/Bronze Star? I am feeling like the last ribbon is the EAME

just by looking at the stripe arrangement as there is a light center stripe.

Any one else have an idea to share? I have no documents that show the dates that the medals were presented.

Thanks again, Bob

firefighter

Here is the close up that I was able to get from the original photo which is only 3" x 5".

It looks to me that there is either some damage to the last ribbon or there is something caught on

it, say a piece of brush, a small leaf or grass. Or there is some small damage to the negative or photo itself.

Very hard to tell even with a magnifier.

etoribbonenlargement_zpsb11f163a.jpg

I agree with the Silver Star on top, followed by the Bronze Star w/OCL, Air Medal, Purple Heart,

American Defense w/Bronze Star. Here is where I am confused, the next ribbon (center bottom row)

looks to light to be the EAME which as you know is a dark green ribbon and I believe would show darker

in the photo. Could this be the Asiatic Pacific w/Bronze Star? I am feeling like the last ribbon is the EAME

just by looking at the stripe arrangement as there is a light center stripe.

Any one else have an idea to share? I have no documents that show the dates that the medals were presented.

Thanks again, Bob

Hi Bob.I was thinking the same thing after I had commented on it.But I was thinking he only served in the ETO.I would have to agree that the middle is A-P campaign (1 star) & the last one EAME.It look's like the Air Medal has a 'V' device for valor.Look's like a nice theater made ribbon rack.

firefighter

Me again.After looking at his assignments I would have to say YES to that being the A-P ribbon.He was stationed in Alaska durn the war and that would qualify for the A-P campaign, Aleutian Islands 3 Jun 42 - 24 Aug 43.

Well, that certainly clears up the question I had about the A-P ribbon, I never made the connection.

As far as I know he did not have a V device on his Air Medal but he did have one on his Bronze Star.

Thanks Firefighter.

• 3 weeks later...

COLONEL CHESAREK COMMANDS THE 28th FIELD ARTILLERY BATTALION 1943 to 1945!

The following photographs show a uniform that I created similar to the one worn by Col. Chesarek as he headed up GUNSHOT!

On this display the following items are from the Generals personal collection:

All of the patches (except the service stripes), ribbons and insignia as well as his original named officers field boots.

The other items are all period correct artifacts except for the obvious 1911 which is an Airsoft gun ($23.00 on Ebay) that I detailed and weathered.

ETO-4_zps9d42b536.jpg

ETO-2_zps8a25889a.jpg

ETO-1_zps45f3ba61.jpg

ETO-3_zpsf72488c5.jpg

ETO-5_zps79509d53.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of the Boyt holster and replica gun.

004-1_zps891a50b4.jpg

008-3_zpsbcd08d1e.jpg

And that's finally about the end of the artifacts and memorabilia from my Uncles estate.

Thanks to everyone who followed along and posted all the positive comments and complements.

And a special thank you to the Forum for creating this great venue to present them and keep his memory alive. Bob

History Man

Just a beautiful collection, it has been nice seeing this group come together piece by piece. Thank you for posting your grandfathers artifacts and giving them new life.

Philip

ww2relichunter

This collection is amazing, it is beautiful you are preserving your uncles memory he sounds like he was a great man and a true war hero also many of the pieces in this grouping are very very rare items !! Good luck and i have been watching your post for a while now u truly have done a wonderful job ! Thank you for all your dedication too this uncle and your forum!

firefighter

:) And you were my biggest fan!

Thank you.It's hard not to be with such an amazing grouping.Thank you so much for sharing your family history and treasure's.As I said before, I think the West Point museum would be jealous of what your uncle left to your family.Truly amazing items you posted.A lot of unusual and I'm sure one of a kind items.

Thanks guys. One of the most enjoyable aspects of researching these items is that I am now much more

knowledgeable about my Uncles career and his importance to the U.S. Army. It has been a pleasure!

uniformcollector

Again, very nice collection to a amazing General. Thank you for what you have done to show us and to preserve his memory.

Absolutely amazing family history. Thank you for sharing! Looks like you are doing an excellent job of being the caretaker of your uncle's legacy. Keep up the good work!

• 2 months later...

Directed here by Ches, Sorry I missed this topic, but let me say now in a word, now that I viewed it, Impressive. I would like to add, that you have done a remarkable job in keeping these items together. From what I have seen, the extensive amount of items from your Uncle's long and distinguished service could not be a better hands. Credit also must go to your Aunt, in both saving these, these years after his passing, and thinking to pass it off to someone like you who would cherish them.

• 3 months later...

UPDATE

It is hard to imagine that almost a year has gone by since I traveled to California to receive my Uncles Military artifacts and memorabilia.

I have learned a lot about his 32+ years of service to our country and will continue to research and post any new finds of interest.

Recently I wrote to the Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL to see if they had any photos or documents concerning Ches's tenure

as Commanding Officer of the Army Materiel Command or AMC. The materiel command provides everything the U.S.Army needs.

" If a Soldier shoots it, drives it, flies it, wears it, communicates with it, or eats it – AMC provides it." AMC motto.

And not only did they send me a nice DVD of photos but also several interesting documents which he authored.

General Chesarek was the second Commander following General Frank S. Besson Jr. and several of the photos they sent showed the

change of command ceremony from March 10, 1969. This was also the same day in which Ches was promoted to full General! Must have been an exciting day!

Hope you enjoy these. Bob

ChangeofCommand-2_zps5eb17c05.jpg

Waiting to begin...

ChangingofCommanders_zps5c9c0061.jpg

Stanley R. Resor was United States Secretary of the Army at the time.

ChangeofCommand-3_zps5a0b76b9.jpg

Passing of the AMC colors to General Chesarek from General Westmoreland.

ChangeofCommand-4_zps0bb03dbd.jpg

General Besson congradulates General Chesarek on his new assignment.

And a great photo, just a shame its a little out of focus.

img059_zpse43e1b13.jpg

Amazing pictures.Thank you for posting them.Man the stars were out that night.To be able to talk to somebody like Gen. Westmoreland must have been something.That CSM sure looks like he's been there done that too.