Treasure Chest, the memorabilia of Gen. F.J. Chesarek

Ches-Gen-4

Salvage Sailor

This just keeps getting better Bob,

Can't imagine what else you've missed as you've got most everything he ever owned or carried. :)

Thanks for the complements guys. It is an honor to hold such a vast collection and even more so since it's family. Regards

Beautiful grouping :) I think we'll never seen one as complete or amazing as this :D

By the way, since no one has named it yet, the Korean medal is the Order of Military Merit (무공훈장) in second class

in Korea it is called the Eulji Cordon, literally almost like 2nd class (을지) or in full Hangeul (을지무공훈장)

There are 4 classes in total in the 1st issue

It is first type (1950 issue), awarded for actions in the Korean war (there are about 4 issues, in 1950, after 63(ish) they expanded it to 5 classes, 67 and I believe in 1970, or 73 my memory is off on the exact dates)

I hope that helped a bit :)

Beautiful grouping :) I think we'll never seen one as complete or amazing as this :D

By the way, since no one has named it yet, the Korean medal is the Order of Military Merit (무공훈장) in second class

in Korea it is called the Eulji Cordon, literally almost like 2nd class (을지) or in full Hangeul (을지무공훈장)

There are 4 classes in total in the 1st issue

It is first type (1950 issue), awarded for actions in the Korean war (there are about 4 issues, in 1950, after 63(ish) they expanded it to 5 classes, 67 and I believe in 1970, or 73 my memory is off on the exact dates)

I hope that helped a bit :)

Thanks for the information Rogi, I tried to find something on this award but was having no luck. I will keep this info with the medal. Regards

• 4 months later...

General Chesareks Colt has a new home!

No, not what your thinking, :rolleyes: it's not going anywhere but it now has a nice comfortable presentation case to spend the rest of it's life in.

In the last couple of months, I found someone who would make me a unfinished cherry wood box with a laser engraved lid to my design. I then crafted the interior while I worked on staining and finishing the outside. Having never built a "french fitted" case before, it took me a while to get the fit just right. I used a fabric that resembles suede and really liked the Army olive drab color. After all the construction work was done, I installed a set of the Generals silver 4 star rank pins on the upper lid pad and then to finish it off, had a brass plate engraved to identify the original owner and date of issue which I found after some research.

post-101214-0-34199100-1459032854.jpg

:0

Some interior views!

post-101214-0-25179600-1459033003.jpg

post-101214-0-17470300-1459033196.jpg

The brass ID plate!

post-101214-0-70117400-1459033265.jpg

Thanks for looking!

firefighter

Thanks for the complements. I think the olive drab looks good against the flat black Parkerized finish!

It does. Beautiful workmanship on the case.

Stunning, Bob! That's one of the best if not THE best GO pistol displays I've seen.

Dennis

I appreciate that Dennis, thank you. A labor of love!

Brian Dentino

Indeed, congratulations on finishing this beautiful presentation case. It is truly befitting this magnificent collection. That 03 is one of the nicest I have ever seen BTW!

• 7 months later...

Hi guys,

Thought I'd bring this post back to life for those who haven't seen it before by adding a little display that I created to hold the Generals watch that he wore all through WWII and into Korea. It was made by the Crawford watch co. and believe it or not, still works and keeps perfect time.

I had this watch just lying flat on a shelf in the cabinet but I felt that I could make something to hold it in a more presentable manner. The base is walnut and I added an original lapel device for the 28th field artillery of which my uncle was the commanding officer on the battle through the ETO. The bracket to hold the watch is made of stainless steel.

As you can see, the watch shows the scars of war. Thanks for looking. Bob

post-101214-0-90154600-1477880798_thumb.jpg

post-101214-0-63065200-1477880818_thumb.jpg

Here is a close up of the face.

post-101214-0-67190300-1477881497_thumb.jpg

:)

Nice watch and a beautiful display stand. Can you buy a stand like that or did you make it or have it made?

Thanks for the complements. I hand made the stand. Bob

Awesome way to display the watch. If only it could also talk.

Boy you can say that again! That watch was worn in the Battle of the Bulge and the Ruhr Pocket battle. That watch was on his wrist when he was wounded by German artillery shrapnel and on his wrist as he received his Silver Star too. Thanks Firefighter!

Boy you can say that again! That watch was worn in the Battle of the Bulge and the Ruhr Pocket battle. That watch was on his wrist when he was wounded by German artillery shrapnel and on his wrist as he received his Silver Star too. Thanks Firefighter!

Amazing!! You're doing an excellent job keeping his memory and legacy alive.

• 3 weeks later...

General F. J. Chesarek is Inducted into the AMC Hall of Fame!

I am way behind in posting this information about the honor that was bestowed on my Uncle early this spring.

Back in Feburary, I was invited to a ceremony that was to be held at the Redstone Aresonal in Alabama on March 14. This was the second time that past commanders of the AMC were honored for their accomplishments while in command of the Army Materiel Command. General Chesarek was the AMC Commander from March 10, 1969 until Oct. 31, 1970.

This photo shows the current headquarters of the AMC.

post-101214-0-63830800-1479259986_thumb.jpg

There was to be a total of six past commanders to be inducted. General Chesarek was first to be commended.

Upon arrival at the AMC headquarters, I had an opportunity to meet the current commanding general, General Dennis L. Via (shown below).

post-101214-0-72726000-1479260283_thumb.jpg

At the ceremony we were given a history of the U.S. Army Material Command Hall of Fame, then General Via took the podium and gave his remarks. He talked about the respect he had for the men and women of the Army that led the way to where the AMC is today. He spoke with the conviction and authority of a soldier who had made it to the top, a been there done that officer of the high command. He said "Their exceptional leadership is why we're here today. The work of these extraordinary commanders who made lifelong achievements is part of a foundation to ensure AMC stays ahead in the past, present and future. I am humbled and honored to induct this class into the 2016 Hall of Fame." He ended his comments with the motto "Army Strong"!

Below is the inside of the program given at the event.

post-101214-0-94955200-1479260769_thumb.jpg

Here is the cover of the program. post-101214-0-84548400-1479261246.jpg

And a nice document that was awaiting me in my hotel room.

post-101214-0-87875700-1479261317_thumb.jpg

Shown below are the medals and plaques that were given to the inductee's or their family representatives.

post-101214-0-08914900-1479261459.jpg

post-101214-0-52144400-1479261477_thumb.jpg

Back home the medalion was added to the Generals dress whites. post-101214-0-24961000-1479261746.jpg

And the plaque was added to the wall of remembrance.

post-101214-0-26415300-1479261756.jpg

Lastly is a photo of my Uncle, General Chesarek on the day he was promoted to Commanding General of the AMC in 1969. Thanks for looking, Bob

post-101214-0-74453400-1479261985.jpg

:)

Bob, this is fantastic. Your Uncle was quite a soldier and you are doing a great job preserving his service and memory. Thank you for taking the time to post all this and letting us get a look at these pieces of his amazing career.

Also the craftsmanship and skill you display in creating that pistol display box and the watch display are top notch!

Thanks

Dennis