Treasure Chest, the memorabilia of Gen. F.J. Chesarek

Ches-Gen-4

Can anyone tell me era or date of this uniform? I would think, just by the condition that it would be Vietnam era but can you

narrow it down to dates? Thanks, Bob

002-1_zpscf15c299.jpg

004.jpg

****THE RED BOOK!

Presented here is something near and dear to my heart.

This is a book that my Uncle wrote shortly after returning from the war in Europe.

There is no printing on the cover or spline of the 8 1/2" x 10" hardback.

There is no information on who printed the book.

But inside is a wonderful account of the battles of the 28th Field Artillery Battalion as they made their way into Germany.

There are many black & white photos, most of which were taken by my Uncle and lots of colorful hand drawn maps.

Lt. Col. F. J. Chesarek was the Commanding Officer of the 28th under Brigadier General James A. Pickering

who was the Commanding General of the 8th Infantry Division Artillery.

024_zps79dbb0d6.jpg

002-1_zps95f0e651.jpg

005-2_zpse550e1b6.jpg

023_zpsdb150fd8.jpg

0032_zps3e8fc747.jpg

This page is very interesting to me as it explained exactly how and why my Uncle was decorated with the Silver Star.

I have printed out the paragraph below the photo so it is easier to read.

003-4_zpsc8752c61.jpg

For gallantry in action on 1 April to 17 April 1945. Repeatedly displaying personal courage and leadership with the leading infantry troops,

Lieutenant Colonel Chesarek at all times maneuvered his battalion within effective range of the rapidly advancing infantry. On 7 April under

heavy enemy artillery fire, he led reconnaissance parties to the successful completion of their mission. On 9 April, he advanced unhesitatingly

and personally led his men in intense fire fights against the enemy, overcoming small groups of Germans by-passed by infantry troops.

Again on 10 April, he led the attack in a wooded area, clearing the area and capturing 65 Germans. Lieutenant Colonel Chesarek's gallant

actions and great courage reflect great credit on himself, his organization and the military service.

Found this interesting name tag and then I found a photo showing him wearing it.

This was from 1953-54 and the notation on the back of the photo says:

"this new OG 108 uniform is very heavy & comfortable" The name plate is hand

made of brass with the letters cut from thin rod and shaped and then hammered

flat as well as the border and the whole works is soldered together.

Is this what you would consider "theater made or trench art"? Bob

NewUniform_zps95206f7f.jpg

002-1_zps397a6ed1.jpg

003-4_zpsb1827755.jpg

MAN! How much more stuff is in that treasure chest? If you need help let me know. :)

Oh, I've got a few more little ditties to show but I am reaching a point now where I

want to acquire the materials I need to display some of the uniforms on mannequins...so, things might slow down a bit.

Thanks for the offer to help though. :)

Here is a Garrison cap that belonged to the general. It is quite soiled. Should I attempt to clean it a little? Any recommendations?

002-1_zps7517f6c0.jpg

003-4_zps3cd09edc.jpg

005-2_zps52bfb0a1.jpg

Here is a Garrison cap that belonged to the general. It is quite soiled. Should I attempt to clean it a little? Any recommendations?

002-1_zps7517f6c0.jpg

003-4_zps3cd09edc.jpg

005-2_zps52bfb0a1.jpg

If I were going to clean it, and I probably would.I would take it to a dry cleaner.They would probably tell you best on how to clean it if they can't.Can not wait to see what else you have.BTW, I like the profile pic change.

Salvage Sailor

Thanks. The more I look at that picture the more I like it. I'll have to have a nice size print made and frame it for the wall.

I would think that is the same IKE jacket that he is wearing in the photo with Gen. Pickering in my initial post. Here are a

few more I found tonight. None of them are marked as to location or dates so anyone out there that can shed any light on

these I would appreciate it. Bob

Chesatartillerypractice.jpg

Tankpractice.jpg

Aloha,

These two (2) photos were most likely taken while he was a West Point cadet.

In the first photo he is wearing pre-WWII dungarees commonly worn by enlisted artillery men.

In the second photo he is posing with a M2A2 light tank which was manufactured from 1935 to 1938. Note that he is wearing a campaign hat and no rank or DUI's.

Both photos were probably taken during field maneuvers with the Regulars while he was a Cadet.

Salvage Sailor

On this post I will show some more of the artifacts that go along with the Generals career.

Below is his WW2 issued Officers pistol belt and holster. The holster is smaller than a 1911 size. Any ideas what was carried in it?

003-4_zps15586e2f.jpg

Could be a .32 caliber automatic pistol which was carried by many field grade officers in dress situations. May also be a .32 revolver, but I'd bet it was an automatic. You may be able to tell by the wear marks inside the holster as a revolver cylinder would leave scrape marks in the center whereas an automatic would lay flat inside the holster.

Nice looking belt.I always like the general officer style belt.Look's great on fatigues or blues.Thank you again for sharing your family's treasures.

Aloha,

These two (2) photos were most likely taken while he was a West Point cadet.

In the first photo he is wearing pre-WWII dungarees commonly worn by enlisted artillery men.

In the second photo he is posing with a M2A2 light tank which was manufactured from 1935 to 1938. Note that he is wearing a campaign hat and no rank or DUI's.

Both photos were probably taken during field maneuvers with the Regulars while he was a Cadet.

Salvage Sailor, Thanks for the information on the early photos and the holster. I kind of thought the photo with the

headphones was artillery practice and by the looks of his age I would agree that was West Point. And its nice to

get a manufacture date for the tank which definitely places it right in the years Ches was at West Point (1934 to 38).

The holster does have the imprint of a pistol and not a revolver. I will find something to fill it someday. Happy New Year and Aloha to you too. Bob

Shoulder Boards and Silver Stars!

The first photo shows a set of General ranks made by the L.G. Balfour Co. and they are in Sterling Silver, still in original package.

014-1_zpsa4a21b6a.jpg

Next are some photos of the Generals Dress Blues shoulder boards...some with very little use as he went up through the General ranks very quickly.

Brigadier General - 1961

Major General - 1964

Lieutenant General - 1966

General - 1969

018_zps0b496026.jpg

It's funny but the price tag on the back of the box lists the sale price as $14.50 for the pair. Try to buy a new pair for that today :)

017-1_zps8ce3b7f8.jpg

And I was only able to find one of his 4 Star boards and it is quite tarnished so I will be looking for a mate.

002-1_zps822cca3d.jpg

Lastly, here are his Lt. and Colonel boards which I have to clean up a bit. Very dusty.

024_zpsf6a18eda.jpg

Enjoy!

I would like to wish everyone a Happy and Healthy New Year and thanks for all the positive comments and following along. Bob

General Chesarek was first assigned to the 9th Field Artillery Regiment at Ft. Lewis in 1938

and then in 1940 to the 9th Field at Fort Ord in California.

Shown below are the Distinct Unit Insignias of the 9th Field Artillery that was a unit of the 3rd Infantry Division in WW II.

001-4_zpsd7eb7465.jpg

9thArtilleryDUI_zpse75a6e14.jpg

From June 1940 to Jan. 1941 Ches was assigned to the 81st Field Artillery Battalion at Ft. Richardson Alaska.

From Dec. 1942 to Feb. 1943 he was stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO with the 177th Field.

EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS

Ches was the Commanding Officer of the 28th Field Artillery Battalion, 8th infantry Division.

His last artillery assignment was Commanding Officer, 5th Artillery Group in Korea.

010-2_zpsf3a04693.jpg

ArtilleryInsignia_zps03081685.jpg

Ches in Korea

ChesinKorea_zps584c5f34.jpg

Documents and photographs!

There were several albums full of mounted post war photographs and documents from the Generals time in

Europe while serving with the Southern European Task Force and the European Communications Zone.

A letter from Pietro Testa, Major General of the Italian Army.

scan00052_zpsfee86b58.jpg

Next a letter from General G. De Gennaro of the Italian Army,

Anyone care to translate?????

scan0006_zpsd031dd94.jpg

General Chesarek was the Chief of Staff of SETAF from July 1960 thru March 1961.

Below is a letter from the succeeding Commanding General with an autographed photo.

scan0007_zps4bcfbf40.jpg

scan0008_zps0ba020ef.jpg

Lastly for tonight, a random sampling of some of the photo albums of General Chesarek.

001-4_zps985e9d91.jpg

004-1_zps04eed530.jpg

In this album are pictures of Ches visiting a munitions factory and later receiving the Order of the Cloud and Banner from China.

007-1_zps0c9ce619.jpg

008-3_zpsd5f1a17c.jpg

011-3_zps051890c1.jpg

012-2_zpsf9f24485.jpg

Below are some random photos and documents from the big brown album. Although the cover appears water stained

all of the contents are in great condition.

015_zpsa69212a9.jpg

013-1_zpsee9521ec.jpg

014-1_zps1b134085.jpg

Lots of documents to read and photos to scan yet. I hope you all are still enjoying this as much as I am. Thanks, Bob

That is one great collection of pictures and collar insignia.Thank you again for sharing.I can't believe how extensive your collection of items is on this great man.And I thought my parents saved everything.

Thanks Firefighter! Yes, this truly is a treasure chest of historical memorabilia and I am honored to present it here. I am going to have the first of my

mannequins dressed in the next week or so. Stay tuned :) Bob