Omaha Beach Croix de Guerre certificate - real ?

Bob Hudson

Picked this up at an estate sale today and don't know anything about it except that the 5th Engineer Special Brigade landed on D-Day as far as I can tell...

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have been looking around on line and cannot find another Croix de Guerre certificate/citation that looks like this one. Would this have been printed by his unit?

Better quality photos are needed to properly analyze this document...

Those were cell phone photos. Here's some scans:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Much better! Very nice original document IMO...the combination of French and English is interesting..but I would say that this is a US unit-issued document, and fairly scarce.

My alarm bells goes off because we haven't seen these before. If issued on D-day, why has only one surfaced to date. I'm sure a lot of units would have received these, along with the units commending officers......those guys saved everything!

norwegian blue

Hello

I wish I had more knowledge of such documents but as far I know the original French document accompanying the award of the Croix de guerre were plain typewritten sheets

this is obviously, as Kadet thinks, a US Army issued document, as per the several typos in the French text (i.e 'assault' instead of 'assault'

I should also stress that although the document is named to specific soldier, this Croix de guerre is a unit award, the 5th ESB earned a citation which entails wearing a fourragere in the colors of the croix de guerre, and not the CdG ribbon as would be the case for an individual award for bravery

Hope this makes sense

Regardless of the circumstances of how this document came to be, it looks like a 1945 vintage document to me.

Kurt

One of my WWI groupings belonged to an officer of the 32nd Infantry Division. The original was long gone however, the French Government does do reissues, and I have a reissue CdG certificate from several years ago, everything is written in French on mine, not in English. So, I find it odd that yours is in English. Note: While I find it odd, I am not by any means discrediting this one since I know little to none about these. I hope that your is legit Bob.

My alarm bells goes off because we haven't seen these before. If issued on D-day, why has only one surfaced to date. I'm sure a lot of units would have received these, along with the units commending officers......those guys saved everything!

Why does this cause"alarm bells"? This document was issued by the 5th ESB to commemorate their unit award of the CdG. It would have been given only to the members of a rather obscure unit, and is thus scarce. Not all units that received the CdG chose to issue a document, in the same way that some units presented silver and bronze star citations and others didn't. Nothing suspicious about this at all. Again, IMO this is a US document. I'll bet some research would reveal that col Bridges was the 5th ESB commander in 1945.

It just states that at the time of the award being presented this particular soldier was part of the 5th Engineer Special Brigade (as Kadet states too).

Not that he got it or the unit got it at the time this document was made.

To me this looks ok.

Erwin

Garth Thompson

Turn your alarm bells off. This is a perfectly good WW2 CdG document. I had one just like it to an Engineer Colonel for service at the Cherbourg harbor.

Thisn is one of the mosty confusing things to people- how the CdG worked. This is for it as a UNIT award. so the guy woudl not be allowed to wear the ribbon and would not have gotten the medal, just allowed ot have the ribbon on the unit flag. As the medal can be both a unit and individual award, a lot of vets and/or familes see it mentioned and go out and buy a Cdg Ribbon to wear (which is for individual awards), or try to get the medal.

I tried to get an individual medal replaced once from a contact in the Frenchg Govt. He told me in many cases they did not give the guys the medal, just "award" it to him as they did not have them, and it would be too expensive. Being impossible to actually get one issued, he just went out and bought one for the guy.

I am kind of surprised more of these are not around, and i suspect that someday (soon?) someone will print them up and start selling fakes to the big name units. Actually, I personally would love to be able to get a good production (marked as such in tiny letters) for some guys in Beach Battalion units I know.

Turn your alarm bells off. This is a perfectly good WW2 CdG document. I had one just like it to an Engineer Colonel for service at the Cherbourg harbor.

Garth,

Do you remember the name of the Colonel?

Tom