USMC Civil War – US Mint strike

Adam R

Given the interest in the USMC Civil War Campaign Medal in several recent threads, I thought I’d post this unusual example.

It has all the characteristics of having been made by the US Mint in the WWII era. The wrap brooch is very similar to the ones used on the USN Expeditionary and China Service medal in the late 1930s and early 1940s, as well as many USN/USMC decorations during the war. Although it doesn’t show up in the photo, it also has the seam in the reverse of the planchet ring which is typical of Mint made campaign medals. I don’t know why there was still a need for government production of Civil War medals at such a late date. Although it’s a late strike it is nonetheless an official USMC Civil War Campaign Medal.

Has anyone seen similar examples?

post-10651-0-15803200-1354307884_thumb.jpg

Perhaps the Navy and Marine Corps needed more medals to fill requests of family members of deceased Civil War Vets. The older strikes may have been used up by this time.

Regards,

The Wharfmaster

Perhaps the Navy and Marine Corps needed more medals to fill requests of family members of deceased Civil War Vets. The older strikes may have been used up by this time.

Regards,The Wharfmaster

I tend to agree. The families requested medals the veteran probably never thought of. I would think the government just had a minimum run made for replacements in this strike.

How much would one of these later strikes sell for?

The US Mint strike medal shown in this thread is the only one of its type known. A few years ago I showed it to Ron Fischer (who been collecting for 50 years) and he stated that he’s never seen one before. Since there are no comparable sales records to go by, its value is just a matter of opinion. That said, if someone were to offer me $750 I’d decline the offer. By comparison, an old good quality unofficial strike (one from the 1930s or 40s, not a later knock off) can sometimes be found for a few hundred dollars or less.

• 2 months later...

There were US Navy Civil War Campaign Medals produced by the US Mint in the 1940's so it stands to reason that the Marine Corps had some made as well. There has to be some evidence in the archives since there are Purchase order numbers.

Guys,

My education needs some help. I keep looking at this thread, and reading the text. I understand that there is a rare and unusual campaign medal in this discussion, but I can't figure out what makes this medal unusual.

Please forgive my ignorance, and spell out plainly the unique characteristics are of this medal vs. the more common variety.

My education needs some help. I keep looking at this thread, and reading the text. I understand that there is a rare and unusual campaign medal in this discussion, but I can't figure out what makes this medal unusual.

Please forgive my ignorance, and spell out plainly the unique characteristics are of this medal vs. the more common variety.

The US Mint style wrap brooch with proper stitching which show that it's original to the medal. The gilt wash that was used on many Mint made medals. Although the details aren't clear in the above photos, the small ring on the top of the planchet is the type that was used by the US Mint.

Show below is a similar ring that is on a USN Civil War that was made by the Mint in the late 1940s.

post-10651-0-53276500-1361132966.jpg

When did the last Marine Corps Civil War Vet. pass away? Is it known?

This style Navy wrap brooch was used in the 1930s to early 1940s.

Regards

W

When did the last Marine Corps Civil War Vet. pass away? Is it known?

This style Navy wrap brooch was used in the 1930s to early 1940s.

Regards

W

W, Not sure about the last Marine vet, but the last authenticated civil war veteran (Union or Confederate) was Minnesotan Albert Woolson, who died at 109 in 1956. He's buried at Park Hill Cemetery in Duluth, MN. Worth seeing his gravesite if you're ever up that way. Regards,

AB

http://www.veteranst...il-war-veteran/

W, Not sure about the last Marine vet, but the last authenticated civil war veteran (Union or Confederate) was Minnesotan Albert Woolson, who died at 109 in 1956. He's buried at Park Hill Cemetery in Duluth, MN. Worth seeing his gravesite if you're ever up that way. Regards,

AB

http://www.veteranst...il-war-veteran/

Thanks AB, good info.

Another thing to consider is the Anniversary of the Civil War, 1931 to 1935. Perhaps a few medals were made up in this time period for display and or issue. That may be another reason for a few being made. I would like to know if any Navy issues of this type are out there.

Regards,

W

Here are some other USMC Civil War medals for comparison. The photo below is an original numbered BB&B strike from about 1908.

post-10651-0-18589000-1361220429.jpg

This is a close up of the medal that is the topic of this thread. I suspect it was made by the US Mint in the late 1930s to mid 1940s.

post-10651-0-40055700-1361220526.jpg

An unofficial (and unnumbered) strike. Probably made by J.K. Davison of Philadelphia in the 1920s or 30s. Davison was one of the suppliers of the medals that were sold by George Studley. I really like the beautiful bronze finish on this medal.

post-10651-0-08327100-1361220718.jpg