Tiger Stripes Part II

Bob Hudson

Well, obviously too much time on my hands, but have been looking again at the famous Larry Burrows shoot for Time in 1965. I had always assumed that these where the 'standard' Classic Pattern/JWD flight suits. In fact, they are all wearing the heavy weight suits in the other phallic pattern (not zig-zag). Not sure what non-Johnson fans call this pattern.

Pic of one currently on ebay. For anyone who has not handled one of these, the fabric is really heavy and dense. Must have been very uncomfortable in high heat and humidity.

post-13485-0-25043800-1412953262.jpg

post-13485-0-00313100-1412953274.jpg

There are different cuts and clothes which should not be confused.

The label

The printed size.

3 different fabric weights and prints.

Not to mention the other ones ……...

endless tiger madness .

owen

Posted Image

And a madp tiger in lightly used condition.

I seen a gold suit with a 101st grouping but could not work out the correct deal so it's still lying on the ground getting dirty.

Owen

Here's today's walkin.

One of my Japanese fashion buyers found this in a small Military show over the weekend.

Typical tailor made VNMC pattern with US NAVY strip. There was a name tag in purple that has been removed. Can't find my reference to the battalion colors right now.

This guy must have been a Corpsman.

attachicon.gifvnmc.JPG

That is sweet....

7u4e4ugy.jpg

The jungle has had the patches moved around over its life span and is starched.

Collar has had Lt once.

CIB and wings also been on and off but that's how it came.

Jeez Owen.... you certainly find cool stuff.

unu4ypug.jpg

Rose bowl hunting this weekend turned up 2 nice tiger shirts.

A Japanese ciso shirt almost mint

Question about his one Owen.... I've got two shirts like this - but what sets them apart, at least in my eyes, are the buttons. They are a limier (Is that a word? brighter lime green) and thinner in construction. Sort of wafer thin.... judging from the photo, this shirt has those same type?

These are from 65 ish onwards and considered better tiger shirts.

Always bigger Anglo sizes with the thin lime buttons.

They look great and wear well.

I just was lookin day a 66 green beret mag with guys wearing them in this cut.

Hope this helps a bit

O

Corpsmancollector

Hey gents

Great posts, always nice to re-visit this thread.

O; fantastic finds from the Rose Bowl. The tiger shirt you posted along with the 101 jungle jacket, are the pockets pleated? Nice bit of detailing I hadn’t noticed before!

Oh, and I want the rugs in your house!

Will

I have a small SF insignia lot to a "COOK" ......came off a tattered M65 field coat.

I see the A200/Peterson pic......when I got his tigerstripe jacket in that pic, he did say he was moving out of the country...that was maybe 7 years ago.

Steve

Corpsmancollector

Will

That's the carpets in my garage .

The good ones are in my dog kennel.

Owen

Haha!

I don't want to ask whats on the floor in your bedroom O...deadstock TS carpet?? :lol:

Sorry to disrupt an otherwise educational thread!

Will

These are from 65 ish onwards and considered better tiger shirts.

Always bigger Anglo sizes with the thin lime buttons.

They look great and wear well.

I just was lookin day a 66 green beret mag with guys wearing them in this cut.

Hope this helps a bit

O

That sure does.... thanks for that. I dig the green in these shirts/pants too. They've got an almost brilliant lime green. I thought they would of been later war stuff just because of the thinness of the buttons. I'll have to dig it out, but I have a pair of pants with these thin lime buttons and the side leg pockets have a slight pleat near the top. under the flap. First time I'd ever seem anything like it...

Posted this in the "Fake Tiger Stripe" thread yesterday because I wasn't sure what I was looking at. But, I just picked this up at the local thrift store halloween section for $6. Looks like the John Wayne Sparse pattern. "Vintageproductions" stated it was real. Too bad the sleeves have been cut off. Should I hem the sleeves to tidy them up or leave as is?

large.jpg

large.jpg

TrenchfootJoe66

I have a small SF insignia lot to a "COOK" ......came off a tattered M65 field coat.

I see the A200/Peterson pic......when I got his tigerstripe jacket in that pic, he did say he was moving out of the country...that was maybe 7 years ago.

Steve

That makes sense. It's been a long time since I've seen him.

Did you see his photo albums ?

I was at a WW2 event ages ago w/ Pete. He brought his photo albums and we drank a few beers. That guy had some great stories. He did alot of spooky stuff in Central America as well. The last time I saw him he admitted to doing a bit of work as a "kicker" recently. Wouldn't say where.

If you look up the term "old warhorse" you'd probably find his picture.

GeneralCheese

Was there a backstory on that hybrid jacket? I tried looking for it, but didn't find one.

I got it off eBay, so unfortunately not. It was in a large grouping of other OD uniforms named to the same guy, but I only bought this one shirt for obvious reasons.