Tiger Stripes Part II

Bob Hudson

TrenchfootJoe66

Okay, thanks. What's the dead giveaway for TSP?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you started in Tiger Thread pt1 and went through all those posts and then continued on thru pt 2, you would never ever get fooled by TSP again. You really don't even need to buy THE BOOK. The threads are that good and full of more Tiger stuff than youll see anywhere else. Plus you get the added bonus of reading what some very experienced collectors have to say about them. Go for it.

Joe sends

• 5 weeks later...

That's not really an answer to the question I asked. It very well may be I got played but I'd like to know why you say that so that perhaps in the future it doesn't happen to me or anyone else.

Beau-Brummel

Well, just to add fuel to the fire I bought one of these because they are SO different, plus It was the right size for my huge swede so If the worst came to worst I could wear It.

After looking at the (not very good) pictures of all the headgear Klaxon had I concurred with Owen and said that I was actually very unsure of It and that I wouldn't put It past the owner of the vintage shop where these were all found to be putting them together. The windy caps just seemed wrong from the outset but the boonies were niggling me. The manufacture Is totally unlike anything I've ever seen In a boonie hat but almost seemed to ape the Viet made camo berets Internally (cotton hessian sides, black satin roof). I couldn't really understand why, If someone were going to fake a piece, they would do It In such an odd way that rang alarm bells as soon as It was looked at. It could be the most devious game of double bluff but again why?

Anyway, It arrived whilst I was at W&P and I got to finally look at It last week; I know exactly why Owen made his comments about new thread because under the flash and In the terrible photos that's what I thought. However on examination It's actually cotton/silk blend and It's the old type double twist that one finds In so many Asian garments of the period. Two different types to boot. The brim Is very stiff and when I managed to look through a hole In the seam the material used Is what one finds on so many period pieces, again Owen will know what I'm talking about. I went over the piece and there are eleven different types of tiger used In the construction; If someone Is cutting up that much stuff then I'd honestly expect to see all sorts of things being dripped onto the market. There are actually some old threads on some of the scraps and those are all natural too. The only thing that bugs me was the use of Thai tiger which I believe didn't come out until the early 70's (help me out here Owen) It's not ripstop though.

SO, could we have a piece that was made slightly later, maybe for an SF guy serving In Thailand circa mid 70's?

I am In no way trying to legitimise the piece because I like It and It really wasn't expensive so I'm not worried If the consensus Is that It's wrong. I just thought I'd put what Information I have Into the debate so that you guys are In possession of all the facts as I see them and not having to rely on a few lousy phone pictures. I'd be very Interested to hear any and all opinions.

Best Regards to all, Guy.

I don't like this boonies either!
The thai tiger pattern is very late war, as far as I know not available until 1971/72 but that wouldn't be the problem for me, it's rather the whole inside and even the outside construction and the way they are made which let me tend to modern made stuff.
They don't look like typical authentic scrap made boonies.

Beau-Brummel

I agree with you Mike, they are not typical at all; I've owned over a hundred In country or locally made pieces and this one has nothing In common with any of them.

However there's nothing about the Internal construction that makes them look modern made I'm afraid. They quite simply look like nothing else, period. The only thing the Inside bears the very slightest resemblance to Is the berets as I've already stated. That of course could be pure coincidence though.

Best Regards, Guy.

• 2 weeks later...
vintageproductions

Here's today's walkin.

One of my Japanese fashion buyers found this in a small Military show over the weekend.

Typical tailor made VNMC pattern with US NAVY strip. There was a name tag in purple that has been removed. Can't find my reference to the battalion colors right now.

This guy must have been a Corpsman.

vnmc.JPG

Posted Image

Here's a gold tiger suit that's named to a Mike Force sgt that came my way.

It's got a killer MF variant pocket hanger.

The vet had a couple of nice things I was able to secure for my camouflage book.

Owen

Posted Image

Mike Force gold tiger suits that are named are hard to find and this one came direct from the vet.

More of this suit and story will be in my camouflage book.

Owen

TrenchfootJoe66

Guys,

Has anybody ever seen original period Tiger stripe patterns printed on any sort of synthetic, waterproof material ?

Thanks

J

USCapturephotos

Here is Major Rogers hat with the bring back VC/NVA canteen with bullet strike and a color slide of Major Rogers wearing the hat.

Thanks.

Paul

Here is a photo of Major Rogers grave. My kids helped me find it last summer and I had forgotten to post a photo. From what I understand he never had any children. I have heard that he has a living brother but haven't been able to make contact yet.

Paul

post-100030-0-46924100-1408475172.jpg

USCapturephotos

Sorry. I should have attached this back with his tiger stripe cover that I have. For those interested here it is again.

Paul

post-100030-0-26225000-1408475751.jpg